1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

1972 Beetle, Ongoing project
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Current Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Keep the updates coming.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: u Reply with quote

all that insulation sure will make the sound system have a wonderful tune to it, especially when it is cranked up REAL loud. Laughing
KleineVW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found some time to repost my progress plus some.

As with most of my projects nothing was easy. The dash presented many small problems. The CIP speedo ring was made in china and fit like crap so I had to clean up the old one. I ordered new collar nuts from Airhead parts to use with the new knobs. The inner diameter of the nuts were to small to work with the factory switches. I called and complained and they machined me a set that still didn't fit. I ended up just cleaning up and polishing the original ones. So much for using new shiny parts, I should have known better. The billet knobs came together nicely but needed extensive machining by Clyde. All and all I'm very pleased with the results.

The headliner was another cluster. After endless hours of surfing the web and calling VW interior places I found a center only black headliner through TMI. I gave them a call went over my application with them and ordered it. It arrived and only needed 4 bows, called them up they didn't express any concern and said to just use 4, though they didn't know which size bows to use. I guess this should have been my first clue. I spent 3 hours in August heat with a heater in the car trying to stretch it out. Finally got pissed and called them again, after 4 people I got to talk to somebody who knew what they were talking about and was told that despite being told it would fit by 2 other people, it was actually for a european 1972 and wouldn't fit my car. I got transferred back to customer service for a refund and the only way I could get any credit is to deduct a 20% restocking fee. What a rip off. Needless to say I won't use them again. I ended up making my own "floating" headliner using sign board, vinyl , and lots of clips. I love the end result I just hope it holds up. Check out those clean pillars!!

Most recently we've made huge progress on the engine, should be tuned up and in the car in no time. Its come a long way from chrome after market tin (with a lot of missing pieces), stock exhaust, and single carb. I owe Clyde a huge thanks for all his help and his patience with my schedule and stupid questions.

KleineVW

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have the car reliably running I'm starting to look at what the next major improvement/fix will be. I'd like to address the suspension over the winter. I was playing with a coil over shock in the rear this afternoon, and it raised the back end up to almost the perfect height. I only have 1, does anybody have another they'd like to part . Its 18" at extension.

After the last tech day at Jakes I know I need a new front beam. I'm thinking about a 2" narrowed adjustable beam. Can anyone tell if these are stock or dropped spindles? They have the vw stamp on them which makes me think they are factory.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Current Projects All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: