1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Paint Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Paint Recommendations Reply with quote

Body work has been coming along apace, and I hope to be ready for paint by, say, the end of June. I'd like to get some opinions, so I can start planning. And saving.

I've thought of painting it myself. I'd like to try it, and have read books and trolled the internet. But space could be an issue, as well as marital harmony. So lately I'm thinking about having someone else do it.

The car will definitely not be a show car. I aim to drive it, but I'd also like it to look decent and be durable. So I'm thinking single-stage urethane. L87 Pearl White, both because it looks nice and I'm afraid anything deeper and shinier will reveal my less-than-spectacular body work.

Parts of the car that I've worked and am happy with I've applied cheap Rustoleum primer, just to protect it while I move on to the next thing. The parts I body-worked were stripped. The white (mostly) that the car came with didn't look so hot, but seems to be extremely durable -- very difficult to get it off of there, with more aircraft stripper than I like to think about. So I'd prefer not to strip the parts I don't have to body-work.

So I'll need to have the car sanded, primed, and single-staged w/ urethane, as well as anything else they see that needs doing. The car is gutted, but still on the pan, and would be delivered that way. Exterior/interior/engine bay/luggage compartment/jams/etc.

Can anyone recommend someone? Roughly how much am I in for?
What's the benefit of someone who specializes in old iron like mine, vs taking it to Maaco?

Any info would be helpful. Again, it will likely be two or three months before I can do this (or maybe more, cause the coffee can seems a little light). Just trying to plan ahead -- I don't want yet another springtime to pass without having an air-cooled Volksie to drive!

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had my 74 bug painted by James Henderson. He lives in Oconee Co. and his shop is in Monroe. He picked up and delivered my car. The price will vary with the amount of work he needs to do. His number is 678 635 8527. His shop is H & H Body Shop and Custom Painting.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon! I just got off the phone w/ him. Seems like a perfectionist -- my body work will have to pass muster before he even thinks about paint. I told him I'd give him a call in about a month, so he can come out have a look (yikes!).
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might want to talk to this guy too.. Too many projects, not enough painters that are reliable and worth a damn.
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, about a year later than I'd anticipated, the Beetle is in James' hands! I kept changing my mind about the color. First I thought Pearl While; then Java Green; for a time, I even considered a (incorrect) Reed Green color-matched to the RAL code of one of my bicycles! Really, I think they look great in about any color. But the original color of mine was Ruby, and in the end, that's what I've decided on.

Thanks Jon for putting me in touch with James! Should have the car back, he says, in about a month.

In the meantime, I'm attending to subtasks. For example, I have a set of original wheels that need blasting and powder coating. Does anyone have recommendations for a local powder coating expert?

Thanks!
mackay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Self, A-1 Automotive on Flat Rock Road in Watkinsville, 706.769.0559. He works on my bug and my bus, does great mechanical and body work, fair prices. JM
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I've passed this place several times. If it's the one I'm thinking of, every now and then an old VW of one kind or another is parked there. Anyhow, thanks for the recommendation -- I'll be giving him a call soon.
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, due to the unknown event that wiped out most of August's posts, most of your photos are no longer here. Would you please repost them as you are able? I am enjoying following your progress. Thanks.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jon, thanks for asking. Yeah, I saw that the August posts were wiped. Can't remember exactly what I had posted, but as I was thinking about posting some on the "Current Projects" forum anyway, that might be a good place for me to go.

Currently doing a headliner, which is about as frustrating as they say. Don't know how many in here have tried it, but I may post pics and/or suggestions. Most likely, it will be a case of how not to install a headliner, but we'll see. Anyhow, I'll put up some pics in the next week or so.

Have a great weekend!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: