1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Engine rebuild

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stewstang67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Engine rebuild Reply with quote

Howdy everone first of all. I have a 74 vw bug that belonged to my mom and I would like to start driving it again but I'm a little unsure what to do about the engine. She drove it from 74 until the late 90's as her primary vehicle. It was driven occasionaly after that until the last year and I'm sure if I droped in a set of points and went through the carb it would fire right up. The odometer quit working in the 80's at some point so I have no idea how many miles are on the car. I'm considering a full rebuild on the engine, but I'm kind of scared of doing the bottom end myself. Any suggestions on an engine builder that is local would be much appreciated. I don't know the lifespan of those little engines but I'm thinking after that many years of driving it would be a good idea to go through it.
Clyde

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the oil, do a valve adjustment and get it running. Do a compression test to check out the top end.
If it checks out healthy, put an oil pressure guage on it. General rule is 15psi at idle, and add 10 psi for each 1000 rpm increse. If it has good oil pressure, leave the bottom end alone.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
stewstang67

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much that is what I was looking for. I had already planned to do a compression test but really didn't think of checking the oil pressure. It ran fine when I parked it where it is now but it has been my experince that most engines do right up until the point they don't, if that makes sense.
Clyde

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They usually give a warning: low oil pressure, low compression, tight valves. Hopefully the valves haven't rusted. The compression test will tell you what's up.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight valves indicate cylinders/ valves that aren't happy... If you find tight valves that might be a reason to look deeper.

A dropped valve has no symptom, the engine will run perfect until the valve snaps in half, then it sounds like a shotgun went off behind your head.
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
stewstang67

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the dropped valve scenerio is what I am trying to avoid. I appreciate all the advice. I'm hoping to be able to drag it out of the barn as soon as I can to get into it. My work schedule is not cooperating right now though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: