1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Timing suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Timing suggestions Reply with quote

Hey All,

Finally (!) getting close to turning the key -- maybe even this weekend. But I have a question:

I need to set static timing for initial startup. Engine is a mostly stock 40hp, but with the "big bore" 83 mm kit. Stock 28 PICT-1, stock distributor. Manual says to set @ 10 BTDC, but I've also read that some folks with the 83 mm kit set @ 7.5 to account for the higher compression. However, I set my deck height to leave my compression only slightly higher than stock, say in the 7.6:1 range (I can't remember). Thinking I'll just set it at 10 BTDC and see how it goes? Also, before I ran a .009 so was far more concerned to make sure it was "all-in" at 32 with a strobe. Is this as much of a concern with the stock dizzy?

And, somewhat related, at that compression I'd still be fine with 87 octane, ya think? Also, what type of oil is typcially used around here this time of year?

Thanks
Bruce
Greg

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of distributor do you have? If it's vacuum only, I would say time it between 28-32 degrees all but you may want to wait and get a consensus.

On the oil, I would think brad penn 20-50 is a good option. There again don't take my work for it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember the number on it but it's original Bosch type, single vacuum. Yeah, that's what I was thinking in the all-in range. But my thinking isn't always straight so it's good to hear from others on this. Also yes, have heard good things about that oil so will give it a try!

The car will be a sunny-day driver. It's a rookie DIY job, and it shows. By no means a body-off pro job. I already have a long list of sub-projects that I'd like to tackle during the winter weekends. But am hoping to be driving it around here soon.

Thanks Greg!

B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: