1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Local garage that works on air-cooled VW?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Local garage that works on air-cooled VW? Reply with quote

Hey All,

For the long story, head over to http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7966602#7966602

The Cliff's Notes version is, the car ran fantastically until I did a tuneup about a month ago. Drove great for about fifteen miles, started to miss, gradually got worse, to the point I barely made it back home. Thinking it must be something I did at that time, but I've lost count of the mornings/afternoons/evenings I've spent in the garage trying to figure it out. Valves, points, timing, condenser, rotor, cap, leads, coil, carburetor, choke, fuel lines, fuel pump, plugs -- all have been replaced/overhauled/verified to operate properly. Car starts right up, runs great for about ten seconds, then dies, with no throttle response at all.

Anyhow, barring divine intervention (which I neither expect nor ask for) what I'm looking for are recommendations for a professional who can look at the car for me. I hate to do it, because I'm all about the DIY ethos, which helps to compensate for my myriad of insecurities . . . but I digress. Point is I have no idea how to go forward from here with this, and the car is now garage art and nothing more. I should also mention that the car is undriveable, so it will need to be trailered.

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde. (If you need help with transport let me know)

I had a bug once that didn't vent well and the engine would do what you describe. Just for kicks, take the gas cap off and try to start it.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Greg

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like it's fuel related, clogged carb, low fuel pressure etc.

2nd Clyde, best around
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
Clyde. (If you need help with transport let me know)

I had a bug once that didn't vent well and the engine would do what you describe. Just for kicks, take the gas cap off and try to start it.

I tried it, but made no difference. I have a feeling it's either something completely obvious that, for whatever reason, I keep missing; or it's something relatively obscure.

Thanks for the offer moving the Beetle, will get a hold of Clyde and PM you.

Greg wrote:
sounds like it's fuel related, clogged carb, low fuel pressure etc.

^ That's what I keep thinking, like, that's gotta be it, right? But man, I just don't know what else to do. Cleaned out, and then swapped carbs. Rebuilt my fuel pump this morning.

Thanks all for the reply.
Greg

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of thoughts....

is there fuel in the carb bowl if you take the top off?

can you keep the car running by pouring small amounts of fuel down the throat?
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg wrote:
couple of thoughts....

is there fuel in the carb bowl if you take the top off?

can you keep the car running by pouring small amounts of fuel down the throat?

Yes, once I checked this, whether the bowl had gas. As soon as I could after (yet another) failed start attempt, I took the top off as quick as I could and the bowl was full, and the carb throat was wet with it.

But I didn't try the other thing, re, putting some gas directly in the carb. I do know that the accelerator pump was working, but your idea would be good to try --

Except, I just dropped the car off at Clyde's this morning. Hoping what he finds doesn't embarrass me too badly Confused
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is fuel pump or sock strainer in gas tank is plugged.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:

One of the last things I did before giving up and letting Clyde have a look was a fuel pump rebuild. Of course, that doesn't mean I did it correctly, but I'm pretty sure it's not the pump.

As for the tank strainer, I thought about that, but figured it was a low probability. As part of my home-job resto I gave the inside of the tank the full POR-15 treatment (pricey, messy, nasty, but worth it, I like to think). But, maybe something flaked off and caught in the strainer? Is there a way to check with mirrors or something, in lieu of draining the tank, pulling out the tap, etc.?
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Jacobs wrote:
Jon wrote:

One of the last things I did before giving up and letting Clyde have a look was a fuel pump rebuild. Of course, that doesn't mean I did it correctly, but I'm pretty sure it's not the pump.

As for the tank strainer, I thought about that, but figured it was a low probability. As part of my home-job resto I gave the inside of the tank the full POR-15 treatment (pricey, messy, nasty, but worth it, I like to think). But, maybe something flaked off and caught in the strainer? Is there a way to check with mirrors or something, in lieu of draining the tank, pulling out the tap, etc.?

Bruce, I did read your Samba thread as well as what you posted here. My guess is just that, a guess based on what you have already tried and what the continuing symptoms are. I have heard of the tank sealants releasing due to Ethanol gas. I don't know if the POR-15 is one of those. The tank can be checked by pulling the sending unit and looking in with a flashlight. I'm sure Clyde will figure it out.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I probably should have checked it. Believe it or not the simple task of opening up the sending unit and peeking in from there hadn't occurred to me, under the carpet and tar board I guess it was out of sight, out of mind.

Another reason to have someone else look at it, since I was no longer thinking clearly. Rolling Eyes

Btw, You got me curious so I headed over to theSamba and yes, the reviews of the POR-15 kit are mixed, at best. I'm surprised a bit, because though it's been a while, being short on experience but an avid reader and researcher, I would have thought I checked into this before hand, but I can't remember. I do remember that it was a lot of hard work.

We'll see, and I'll report back.
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Got my car back from Clyde last night, and it runs better than ever! The upshot is that it was the condenser after all. Somehow, it would let the car start but not accelerate. Frustrating, since my normal checking of the contender showed it good, and I replaced it anyway. Aftermarket stuff, I guess . . .

Not only this, but while it was in Clyde discovered some other things that were in need of attention (bad generator bearing is the biggie). It is likely that I would have discovered this on my own, eventually; but the time would have been at the car's choosing, not mine. (And if old VWs are like bicycles, that time would have been when I'm furthest from home and the weather is nastiest!).

Anyhow, the car's time at Clyde's was well worth it!

Now I've got my sights set on Bugapaluza!
Greg

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear you got it sorted out, it always helps to have another set of eyes looking things over.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: