1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

DIY Torsion Bar Adjustment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: DIY Torsion Bar Adjustment Reply with quote

I read post after post, instruction manuals, online advise columns and looked at ever picture know to man and against better judgment I decided to make the rear torsion bar adjustment myself to correct the saggy ass on my 71 standard seen below.

All I can say is WOW. Holy crap, I did it. So now that all is said and done I thought I would include some information about what I found. I am proof that this can be done with a bottle jack, floor jack and two jack stands. I read two different ways to release the IRS. 1- "remove the four bolts from the slotted holes and lower the axle past the torsion arm" Not gonna happen. The brake line will stop it about a half inch from clearing. 2- "Use a jack to raise the axle past the torsion arm" Not gonna happen either. First off you need to remove the bottom out bumper pad and this will give you an additional 2 inches but thats not quite enough. You will still have to finagle the back section of the torsion arm around the 4 bolt axle tab. So that you know, the torsion arm rests on a small ledge on the torsion housing. Releasing the four bolts from the spring plate was a little tough due to the rusted bolts and the bolt head are very close to the plates lip. These two problems were solved with penetrating oil, wire brush and a thin wall socket. Here is an aggravating tip. The forward bolts are a different size then the aft. Everyone says that the fender must be removed but I found that if you remove the running board bolt and the following four fender bolts, there is enough flex in the fender to twist it around and set it on the running board. Degrees and angle? I went with the old timers and went by eye when it came to how many teeth to adjust. I got lucky and hit it on the first shot. Getting the torsion arm back up was a royal pain in the ass. Coming down, the tension works with you, going up and she fights you. One thing that makes it tough is because of that lip that the back portion of torsion bar rests on does not allow it to go on straight. I used a floor jack and a piece of 2x4 to fill the cup in the jack to raise the arm. Once you get the torsion arm near the axle tab you will need to pry it over so that the back plate of the torsion arm goes around the axle tab. I had not planned on replacing the bushings and boy was this a mistake. The inner bushing was no problem but the outer, spring plate bushing was the problem child. Over time, this bushing has flattened on one side. I did not make a witness mark on the bushing. Who would? And why should you, it's a circular bushing. Remember the flat spot, well since I removed/repositioned that bushing and the orientation was off and this pushes the spring plate in the wrong direction and the bolt holes won't line up. I recommend replacement of the bushings. Another key to success is to start the bolts without the plate being seated fully on the bushing. By the way, that damn plate has zero play on the body side. The actual body has a weird bump out that will not allow the spring plate to go on straight, you have to work it behind the little bump. I did get the job done but it isn't a lie when they say it will eat up the better part of your day. Hope this helps and feel free to contact me if you have questions. On a side note, undercarriage coating will take the skin off your knuckles with ease. "I'm stuck on band aids cause band aids stuck on me!" Razz
Call me if I need you!

Last edited by 71_georgia_beetle on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is good you got it done. It looks like alot of work. I recommend doing it my way...that is pay Clyde to do it. He has all the proper tools and it takes him no time at all.

I just drink a beer, watch Clyde work, and tell him what a good job he is doing. Cool
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:31 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good you got it done. It looks like alot of work. I recommend doing it my way...that is pay Clyde to do it. He has all the proper tools and it takes him no time at all.

I just drink a beer, watch Clyde work, and tell him what a good job he is doing.

thats just a lazy ol' bald headed man that does that and not even offer clyde a beer.
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some picture about my information above.

The final result. :p

Call me if I need you!
Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the spring plate grommets for early beetles in stock. Next time I place an order, I'll get some late ones.
Good job.
I like it when cars get fixed by their owners Smile

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde wrote:
I have the spring plate grommets for early beetles in stock. Next time I place an order, I'll get some late ones.
Good job.
I like it when cars get fixed by their owners Smile

Thanks Clyde. This is my first VW and I am trying to learn as much as I can. I put the pictures out there because believe it or not in the age of high speed information, there are very few photos of this job. And most of the posts I read made it look very easy. "Simply pry the spring plate away and pull straight out to remove". Ummm No!. I think they meant to say, "bust a vein in your forehead trying to pry the spring plate away from it 30+ year rusty home and try your best to contort that piece of steel around the body bump out and then get some medical care for your knuckles".

I agree with your "fixed by their owners" statement. The more you know, the more money you will save, time you will save and you will be ahead of the game if something were to happen over the road.

Thanks again.
Scott
Call me if I need you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: