1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Spitting Carb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Spitting Carb Reply with quote

I got the bug, fixed the bug, made my first big trip, bragged online about how well it went and how well the car was running and now I feel more like a Harley owner. Ya know, after every trip you return home to fix your bike. The problem I have now is hesitation. Timing is on, dwell is on, plugs are not fouled, idle is awesome and I don't have a vacuum leak. I have tracked it down to the carb but I am lost. As stated, the idle is spot on but when I grab the throttle and gradually pull, it spits and sputters and will eventually catch up and rev up. If I grab the throttle and give her a quick yank she bogs down pops and spits out a white mist and one of two things will happen: 1. If I continue to hold it open, the engine will die. 2. If I ease off and gradually bring it out, she will eventually catch up and rev. Basically I have to baby the throttle to get it to rev up. Per the idiot book I adjusted the air / fuel mixture and it did not make a change. Not sure if this helps but I hear a fairly loud sucking noise right at the carb. I thought I would throw this out before I rip out the carb and crack the book on it. BTW I have an H30/31 PICT
Call me if I need you!
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same carb and yesterday morning I left for work and mine was acting very similar. Some how a piece of tread (perhaps from a shop rag ) found its way into my main jet. It doesn't take much to restrict a main and the smallest particle can make a big difference in performance. You could also have a restriction in your accelerator pump or a bad diaphragm, somnethin like that.
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Serprice, I'll have a look.

I also forgot to mention that the "white mist" or fog like substance is out of the carb, not exhaust and this is the second tank of gas that I have not run SeaFoam Carburetor cleaner. Could the carb/fuel treatment have been a band aid?
Call me if I need you!
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. Or maybe the cleaner broke loose deposits that were stuck to the walls and bottom of the float bowl where they got sucked up. I dont know if you've ever built it .but I've takin carbs apart that had alot of garbage in the bottom of the bowl. The only real way to get a carb clean is to take it apart and clean it. Kits are cheap if you need one. But if your diaphragm and top gaket are in good shape you can get by without one.Though it is always good to have a kit on standby. Dont open it if you dont need it and save it for next time. Oh and get a new filter too.
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also could be that your accelerator pump isn't working. It shoots the first stream of fuel down the carb when you push the pedal. Open the top plate and look down the carb; now pull the throttle arm and see if a shot of gas goes down the throat. If it doesn't, you need a new pump. They come in the rebuild kits.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Clyde

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargle with something minty after it goes down yer throat :wink:

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde wrote:
Gargle with something minty after it goes down yer throat :wink:
Clyde I'll give you a hundred bucks if you never say that again in this forum full of guys. Shocked

Oh and thanks for the carb kit. I still plan on the rebuild but I think the carb felt threatened by me posting a question on here and straitened it's ass up. One day hit and miss and spit and sputter and then purr like a kitten. Go figure.
Call me if I need you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: