1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Generator Armature Play

View previous topic :: View next topic  
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Generator Armature Play Reply with quote

I am in the process of replacing the generator in my 71 Standard. The reman generator that I received had about an 1/8" of play side to side in the armature shaft. (Everything is being bench built) When I put everything together with the 45 lbs of torque and gave her a spin I blew out a hemorrhoid. The fan would not turn. I took it all apart and the generator moved freely. I put it all back together hand tight and the tighter I got the more it binded. Upon further investigation of the generator I found that the fan side bearing shim (small shim between the bearing and motor end plate) remained outside the motor plate no matter which direction I pulled the armature. The pulley side bearing shim was pulling behind the motor plate. So, as I tightened on the fan nut it would draw in the pulley hub and since the bearing spacer would drop behind the motor plate it would allow full contact of the pulley hub to the motor plate face thus locking up the entire system.

Two questions:
1- How much side to side play should there be in an armature on a generator?
2- Am I missing something (VW education wise)? Shouldn't that spacer remain outside the face plate? It appears top be the only thing that keeps the hubs from rubbing the face plates on the generator.

Call me if I need you!
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same problem about six months ago when I replaced my gen. You just need to shim it alittle. I think I used a crush washer for a drain plug on mine. It doesn't have to be very thick. Just enough to get the pulley off the housing. Make sure the shim won't rub the housing either. I do believe I used a crush washer from an overhaul gasket set . I have a few laying around.
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have pictures but Gary reordered the gen and damn what a difference. The bearing/hub spacers sat out about 3 to 4 millimeters and there is zero side to side play in the armature. After I tinkered with the old one I noticed that the case inside was rusted, the afore mentioned spacers and movement, one of the brushes was cracked through and one of the woodruff key slots was worn so bad that the key had side to side movement. Two things, either I received a used or slipped through the cracks reman or...........................Gary is pissed that he has to work on camping weekend and was trying to pull one over on me. Very Happy
Call me if I need you!
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't expect to much from any reman these days, as you probably know! Alot of times its a gamble. "Maybe good, maybe not
" Mine didn't have the movement you spoke of. It just had the countersunk spacer causing the pulley to rub. I put it on one night after work and I was ready to have the damn thing back together so I dug around and found something to giterdone. It woked out good. But I think you did the best thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: