1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Burning Smell at Voltage Regulator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Burning Smell at Voltage Regulator Reply with quote

OK, I got the new generator, installed it, remade all connections, replaced VR, polarized the system, ran at idle for 15 min as stated in the instructions, correct voltages at the VR, batery and generator, VR is not hot, no wires are hot and nothing is shorted to ground. So whats the problem????????? When I took her out for her first spin after all the work I smelled a heavy, burning electrical smell and then it went away. A minute later it came back and lasted a minute or so. I got to my destination and smelled the VR and that was it. It was not hot but it did have a faint smell of the big smell I smelled earlier. I went to a meeting that lasted about an hour, fire her up and nothing. I have not smelled it since.

My question. Do VR's have a break in period or coating that burns off or something? Is this normal? Question
Call me if I need you!
Tronview
Site Admin

1963 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a while sense the last time I installed a new VR. But I do remember that it did have a smell to it for about a day. I was told that it was the coatings on the wire coil, and not to worry.

Duct tape is like 'The Force.' It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Treehive

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm......I don't remember smelling anything when we switched out the voltage regulator in the Hive. Of course, it is difficult to smell anything besides incense and patchouli in my bus Razz

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

74 Westy
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treehive wrote:
Hmmmm......I don't remember smelling anything when we switched out the voltage regulator in the Hive. Of course, it is difficult to smell anything besides incense and patchouli in my bus Razz

You forgot the Winter Koning, NLX, 7 Seconds, Bubblegum, Thai Stix, Grizzly, Santa Maria, Winter Weed, Silver Haze, Jack Herer, Northern Lights, Viking, Ice, Kif, Columbian, Super Gold Thai, T44, Yellow, PP, Warlock, Sensi Star, B-52, White Widow, Citral, Kierewiet, Durban Poison, Blueberry, Double Bubblegum, pH 89, XXX, Silver Shadow, Purple Power, Snowflake, Essential Flower and DD.
Call me if I need you!
Treehive

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

71_georgia_beetle wrote:
Treehive wrote:

You forgot the Winter Koning, NLX, 7 Seconds, Bubblegum, Thai Stix, Grizzly, Santa Maria, Winter Weed, Silver Haze, Jack Herer, Northern Lights, Viking, Ice, Kif, Columbian, Super Gold Thai, T44, Yellow, PP, Warlock, Sensi Star, B-52, White Widow, Citral, Kierewiet, Durban Poison, Blueberry, Double Bubblegum, pH 89, XXX, Silver Shadow, Purple Power, Snowflake, Essential Flower and DD.

Shocked Shocked That's quite a list of different smells We are still talking about burning regulators......right Cool

74 Westy
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charge your battery! That smell is the windings in the gen. A low batterty will cook a gen. Quick. Don't ask me how I know Rolling Eyes
Treehive

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did the smell go away? Or did you just get a pine tree freshener to hang from your mirror? Razz

74 Westy
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treehive wrote:
So did the smell go away? Or did you just get a pine tree freshener to hang from your mirror? Razz

I put this question out on TheSamba and the verdict was that this is normal for a non Bosch VR. The smell went away and has not returned, the voltages are still good and we have not had a car-b-que.
Call me if I need you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: