1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Type II Problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Type II Problems Reply with quote

As some of you know of my Westfalia woes, the family and I made our second long trip to get a bus. Few runs in paint, one iffy repair on the side but the rest of the bus was awesome and the interior was the best I've seen. For 34 mile and one hour tonight I was the proud owner of a 1974 Westfalia. We got a few exits down the freeway and the Gene Burg temperature alarm started lighting up. I pulled off at the next exit and It did have that hot smell, lots of heat escaping from the side vents and the dip stick was way, way to hot to hold on the very end. There was a small amount of steamy whiteish smoke coming out the vents and the door when I opened it but it went away in just a few seconds. It could have been some burn off of some cleaner seeing that this was a sale car. Along with the heat, it was also very sluggish to go up hills and I often had to drop to third to regain speed and when I shut it off after the heat issue and one other time, it dieseled for a couple of revolutions. With that said, we returned it.

Here is where I'm torn. We really want this bus. I have never owned a bus, what kind of heat should I expect? What would cause sluggishness? What causes dieseling? Are buses really just that slow? How accurate are those Gene Burg modified turkey thermometers? Did I jump the gun from a little buyers remorse?

Here is what I'm looking at. 1. Does this look to be as simple as tuning issues. 2. How much to rebuild a type 2? I'll negotiate that much more off. 3. Should I just wait it out and hope that another of this caliber comes along?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Scott
Call me if I need you!
Clyde

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuning makes all the difference in the world. That Berg dipstick springy thermometer is supposed to begin to flicker at 225 degrees and stay on at 230 degrees. And it only measures oil temp. The head temps are super important also. Could be timing, regular fuel when it needs premium, bad jetting, etc, etc...

All stock busses are embarrassingly slow, thus the popular sticker "Never get behind a VW bus."

I would talk the guy down enough to get a "camper special" engine from Jake. There are hundreds if not thousands of happy bus guys with this setup.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde wrote:
Tuning makes all the difference in the world. That Berg dipstick springy thermometer is supposed to begin to flicker at 225 degrees and stay on at 230 degrees. And it only measures oil temp. The head temps are super important also. Could be timing, regular fuel when it needs premium, bad jetting, etc, etc...

All stock busses are embarrassingly slow, thus the popular sticker "Never get behind a VW bus."

I would talk the guy down enough to get a "camper special" engine from Jake. There are hundreds if not thousands of happy bus guys with this setup.

Iwas thinking the same thing Clyde posted.....it may just be tuning. The only problem with talking him down enough to buy a Camper Special is that he would have to GIVE you the bus. Specials ain't cheap!

A properly tuned type 4 engine should have plenty of power to keep up with traffic. I would talk to Jake about it at the Meeting tomorrow......oh yeah, you gotta work. Shoot Jake a PM or give him a call. This bus still may be do-able if the owner will drop the price and all it needs is a complete tune up.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those oil dipstick doo-hickeys are about the most dumb thing I can think of.... If you had a gauge you'd know how hot the oil was, but Berg would rather confuse you.

The Type 4 engine is misunderstood by most and that creates the issues, especially with tuning. The bus should have an 1800 in it, the best TIV made from the factory.

I'll help however I can.. if you find one close to home I'll go check the engine out for you...

Skip work and we'll talk about it tomorrow :-)
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: