1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

1972 Super Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Current Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tronview
Site Admin

1963 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: 1972 Super Project Reply with quote

Hello

As some of you may know I purchased a 1972 Super Beetle last year and have been working on it off and on since then. When I got it, it barely started, had no brakes and did I mention it was an Auto-Stick.

First things first. BRAKES! Took care of that project the first month I had it. Moving it around on my drive way was dangerous (I live on a hill) let’s just say the only part not replaced was the brake line going down the center of the car. I was going to replace it but why fix what isn't broke.

Next I did a basic engine tune-up. Spark plugs, Wires, Timing, Carb rebuild, New points and condenser and much more. Good news it now starts. Runs like S&*# but runs.

OK engine checks out. Now for the fun part. F the F-ing Auto-Stick.
Thanks to the donations of many generous vw friends. I have all the parts needed to convert the beetle to a manual stick.

First the engine needs to be pulled. Now for those people who haven't pulled an Auto-Stick engine, here is a bit of advice. Unscrew the four small bolts that hold the torque converter to the engine BEFORE removing the engine. It will make your job much easier. If you haven't guessed I learned this trick out the hard way. Now that the engine is out the rest went quite fast.

Engine: removed
Vacuum control thingy: Removed
Two reservoirs: Removed
Axels: removed
Trans: removed but not without some pain. (I dropped it on my foot Ouch!!!!)
Shifter and Shift Rod: Removed
Pedal Cluster: Removed

OK. All auto stick parts removed. Now we are at the present. Starting tonight I will go through the fun job of cleaning and repairs. And with some luck and my friends Muir and Bentley I should have it back on the road soon.

OH by the way. Anyone want to buy some auto-stick parts? Wink Wink

Duct tape is like 'The Force.' It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Current Projects All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: