1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

New here. Introduction and requisite Newbie questions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MintyBus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: New here. Introduction and requisite Newbie questions. Reply with quote

Hello all. My name is Sam Donaldson and I live north of Athens in the big city of Royston. I am a fairly avid collector and shadetree mechanic with a current fleet of old Mercedes Benz...mostly diesels. Up to now that's all I've ever driven. I own an insurance and financial firm and I'm married with one baby and another one on the way. I'm a busy SOB! Relaxation is me under a classic Benz with a cold brew somewhere nearby. Always wanted an aircooled VW but just got around to doing the deed. I know absolutely jack about VW's in general, though so I need a bit of help. I look forward to the monthly meetings and at this point I absolutely live for the next tech day. I hereby volunteer my bus as the subject of a session titled "This here looks FUBAR! What is it and how do I fix it" Or, maybe "What the hell is that noise?"

I got myself a longtime dream vehicle. A '71 bay window bus that was listed on The Samba. I'll post another thread on the adventure flying out of ATL, picking it up, and the hilarious 500 mile roadtrip that ensued. It wasn't that funny at the time but it sure is when I look back on it.

Now for the tech questions. Runs great at speed(everything is relative) but dislikes idling when hot. Found idle screw backed out all the way out. Adjusted til it barely hangs on but no more adjustment available that I am aware of. Where to go from here? Note: I have never owned a vehicle with a carb. It's a dark art to me. It's got a fairly new 1835cc but the PO reused many of the old, worthless bits when he put it back together.

The tin is crap...rusted through and loose. Fan makes a terrible noise in the cage as a result. Gotta get this fixed ASAP.

What I really need is to make it to the next monthly meeting, pay some dues, sign up, whatever...and have all you VW experts go over my bus and tell me what everything is, does, is OK, not OK, etc.

Baptism by fire is OK with me. Locos hot wings and beer should take care of that.

Sam
Clyde

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sam! I'm no bus expert, but between us all, we'll have your bus happy in a few months....
Not that it takes that long, but I have a baby running around too Very Happy

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Sam. We can help you and it is good to see more people with buses. I have a 70 Westy that is becoming a long term thing. If you are able, come meet all of us at Kingpin's on Feb. 7. If not, show up when you can and welcome to the forums and the club. Cool
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the engine dislikes idling when hot, I'd say the engine is probably running at an elevated temperature. When the engine gets too hot it leans out and that creates a choppy, unstable idle.

Get some instrumentation installed so you can know the current state of the engine at all times... Otherwise you can be melting it and never know it..

With an 1835 in a Bus I'll almost guarantee you that baby is getting warm, the 92mm cylinders that comprise the 1835cc combo are the thinnest of all cylinders for the ACVW engine and in a Bus they won't stay round or straight for very long...

Sounds like this bus is screaming for a tech day.
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the club!! sounds like a cool bus!! see you at LOCO'S!! Very Happy
MintyBus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome Clyde, Scott, Jon, & Jake.

I was at least remotely aware that an 1835 was not a good idea due to the super thin jugs and the weight of a bus. Add to that the scrap tin and I'd have to agree that it is probably getting pretty warm in there. May already be toast as I was forced to drive it at the limit for 500+ miles just to get it home. I think I got a fairly square deal on it even with possible engine issues. I'll hook up a CHT pyrometer and cringe.

If the concensus is that it's simply a matter of time before it dies for good; I would prefer to replace it rather than spend money throwing bandaids on it just to prolong its agony. I have driven only one other bus and it had the stock 1600. It would run circles around old Minty. My engine may not have a stack of miles on it but it sure seems tired. I'll bring it to Kingpins on the 7th and see what everybody thinks.

Some insight into my mind. I'd rather have a stout, low compression 1600 with high po valve springs. Whiz it with an AJ Sims kit and drive. I'm not going after tire shreading performance; just comfortable, relaxed driving. For that, a vehicle needs a little balls. Maybe there is a better formula but I'm just in the learnin' phase here.

What time is the Kingpins gig on the 7th?

Sam
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MintyBus wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome Clyde, Scott, Jon, & Jake.

What time is the Kingpins gig on the 7th?

Sam

1:00 pm is our start time.
http://www.athensvwclub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=923

Please post an account of your 500 mile adventure when you have time. Cool
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: newbie Reply with quote

Hey welcome to the club Sam. ( Ever heard of a little town called cannon? ) Looking forward to meeting you and hearing about your trip. Been on a few of those kinds myself. Anyway, when you fixup your engine, dont forget all that tin would look good powder coated your favorite color!!

Ron

R 1 C powder coating
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to welcome you to the club!

Sounds like you have the right mindset for a new VW enthusiast.. Do it right, do it once.

I have a good formula for the Bus.. You can see an example of that in Jons Thing at the meeting :-)

if that's not what you are looking for I have an alternative...

Buses need torque, not HP...
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
MintyBus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll be at Kingpins come hell or high water. I got my hands on a manual for the 34 PICT and mine is not adjusted even remotely correctly. i.e. the high idle adjustment screw was used to jack up the idle to where it was when I got the bus. I set it per the manual and it is surely different but it still won't hold idle. I'll nurse it there with a full load of tools if someone is willing to help me adjust the beast. I buy the beer for all who offer assistance! Could be something else in the way too, i guess. I have a feeling that a quick review by someone with AC VW experience will lead me to spend a chunk of money right off the bat. Pretty sure the old girl needs some TLC.

jake, I've looked at the marvelous creations on your site. You are a true master. And, thanks for the welcome! Yep, the bus sure could benefit from some stump pullin' torque. My daily driver is a OM617 turbodiesel and the torque characteristics would be killer in a type2. A strong 1776 with an itty bitty compressor looks good on paper.

modified 72, I know Canon well. Liquor stores and Churches and that's about it. What a social collision waiting to happen. Don't speed through Canon! I see you do powder coating. When I get the new tin from Clyde; we'll talk about my favorite color. I'm partial to black as that's just what I'm used to seeing in VW's but the color wheel does offer some tempting shades. My bus is actually a late 50's Ford seafoam green. Maybe that would carry over into the engine compartment nicely.

Sam
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: r Reply with quote

Hey Jake you got any left over wood from all the remodeling you been doing? I got some nails, if it keeps up this raining we gonna have to build a boat.
MintyBus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boat? I got a friggin boat! She's taking on water like the Titanic. "Open the secondary bilge. We're takin' on water fast!"

Bring the wood and nails on the 7th and I'll use them to plug up my bus. She's working on a new nickname. "Fishbowl"

Clyde, you got any good seals? Windows are good but I think I need both front doors, the sliding door, engine lid, and rear hatch. It's not really that bad but damn if I'm gonna spend a dime on interior bits until it's dead dry. Or, as dry as a bus will get.....

Sam
Clyde

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't stock bus seals, but I've special ordered them before. I'll pm you some prices.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: