1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

POR-15 Prep

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: POR-15 Prep Reply with quote

I was hoping someone could set me straight on this. Really, really rusty bits I find have or will be removed and replaced. Yesterday I completed welding in a repair panel for the rearmost 8 inches of the left wheelhouse/qtr panel (not too shabby for a self-taught amateur, but makes me appreciate those who weld really well!). New rear apron is next.

But the other side, for example, has only slight rust. It appears mostly solid, but I want to treat it before installing the new apron. I've been combing the Samba website (there's almost too much info!), and the POR-15 site seems, at times, contradictory. On the one hand, they advertise that POR-15 goes right over, and adheres best to, rust. On the other hand, they want you to (of course) buy Marine Clean and Metal Ready.

Here's my take on all of this:
1. If there's already rust, POR-15 can go right over it.
2. If you're doing rust prevention or protection, and especially if the area will be visible and/or top-coated, wire-brush, Marine Clean, Metal Ready, and then POR-15.

What do you guys think?
mopel1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bruce,
That's my take on it too. You can go right over "surface rust" but all loose debris needs to be wire wheeled or sanded off. Por-15 is great at "leveling" itself. Brush it on and the brush marks will even out and will disappear. Know that, Por-15 is photosensitive, meaning that it shouldn't be exposed to the sun. It will yellow and deteriorate, that's why you don't see any rust buckets driving around with a gallon of gloss black Por-15 paint jobs. I would 1) pass on the marine cleaner. (get some TSP at Lowe's or whereever, it'll be way cheaper (comes in concentrate or powder form)). Make sure to get off as much loose rust as possible. 2) Paint it with Por-15 and let dry. 3)** If you want to paint areas that will be exposed (ie. a floorpan with mats instead of carpet) buy a can of Por-15 Chassis Top coat (it's a finish coat, non-photosensitive paint) or coat it with truck underliner if adding carpet.

That was by far my longest forum response ever!! Hey, what can I say? I deal with a lot of rust.

'64 T34 Ghia, '66 Beetle, '69 Westy, '73 Thing,
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the 'splanation! And I'll definitely get some TSP. I'm sure the Marine Clean works great but man, that stuff's expensive![/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: