1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Oil Oil Trouble Toil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: Oil Oil Trouble Toil Reply with quote

A short time back I purchased a case of Brad Penn 20W 50 Semi Synthetic oil. I used it for one oil change and sold the rest (just to make a buck and help a friend), not because I didn't like it. Other than being a little thicker when cold, I noticed no difference from your conventional motor oil. Keep in mind that this is from a user aspect not a chemist. I'm sure it's doing wonders in the engine. Very Happy My engine ran the same, idle the same, temp was a tad bit cooler but from a surface level, no difference. I have a few push rod seals leaking so that coupled with it's normal consumption, about every 4 fill ups I'd have to put in about half a quart of oil. This was about the same as when I was using conventional.

So, this time I found a deal on a Full Synthetic Maxcycle Royal Purple 20W 50. I did my standard and usual oil and filter change and only on my second fill up did I check the oil and it was a quart and a half low. The next fill up, half a quart again. I have not noticed any change in the amount found in the catch pan in the garage. I did however have someone at the last cruise tell me that I was smoking a bit.

My question: Could this be the new "Full" synthetic oil? Also, I am out of the Royal Purple and now I am filling it back up with conventional 20W 50. Is it OK to mix oils?
Call me if I need you!
Greg

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure someone more knowlegable will post shortly but in the meantime....I've always heard that the molecules of synthetic oil are a lot smaller than dino oil so they tend to get into smaller opens and cause leaks. On new engines it's usually not a problem but for older engines, it can cause a little oil slipping by the rings and new leaks appearing.
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 91 Harley and I did the HD syth oil in it and like you did notice a drop in temp not alot but some but it ran the same , no smoke , i went back to reg 20/50 . I remember when I was at AMI they did not like the syth oils in Harleys it was taboo (lol) , later it was well put at least 5000 miles on they use it . I agree with Greg if it a new motor I bet it works great and has lasting benefits but my VW motor with a million miles and leaks , I will stick to good ol caveman oil. I really enjoyed the class we had at Jakes last yr it was great to see the breakdown of the oil sold on the market. I was just at a dodge dealership and the oil barrel was mixed with water and was no good, lucky they cought it but I am sure they got cheap as oil no name to save a buck. Anyway good luck on your oil experiments!!
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott, I agree with the above comments that it is due to Royal Purple being a full synthetic and your engine having some age on it. I personally would stick with the Brad Penn, Clyde has it in stock if you want 20W-50. I am thinking about ordering a case of BP 10W-30 due to our continuing cold weather.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone read the acticle in HOT VW a couple months back on the oil testing . The chevron 20/50 held its own against the syths. NOT SURE WHAT THE GUTS LOOKED LIKE but ran cooler than PB -SO THE ARTICLE SAYS-interesting article-have to read it again tonight cause i am due for a oil change. Not starting a oil war lol-- i would like to use the best but not sure what that is either.

I still use the castrol 10/30 but might find the chevron this go around Rolling Eyes
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall, the Hot VWs test was just about cooling aspects. They did not test for lubrication variables and zinc and phosphorus levels.

I'm going to order some Brad Penn from these guys
http://theoilwarehouse.com/?mainURL=/store/item/2a2kf/Racing_Oil/Brad_Penn_Penn_Grade_1_10w-30_Racing_Oil.html
let me know if you want some, I'll get a case. Clyde says he isn't selling it very well and may not buy any more.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you are correct , the breakdown is the key like we learned from Jake last yr. Its a little ritzy for my budget -but if i had the motor you had i would spend the x-tra $$. See ya sunday- gotta play with my new/used carb I got. Its on ,I have to fine tune!!
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jon let me know when the oil is in- i will get at least 4 from ya!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: