1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Started/solenoid issue. Gotta fix by Sat. HELP!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MintyBus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Started/solenoid issue. Gotta fix by Sat. HELP! Reply with quote

I just installed a new weber prog carb. I know, I know. But, it was free and the brocar on there was pure junk.

I got everything buttoned up and she started right up.....reved to 3500rpm and stuck there. Assuming the choke is too tight I went back and adjusted. Tried to start again and just a click. Fried the fuse in the hot start relay. Replaced and tried again...same thing. Tapped the starter with a rubber mallet, new fuse, she starts right up and revs up again. Adjusted choke more and tried to start. . Click!

If I jump the terminals on the solenoid the starter spins smoothly but does not engage the flywheel. Further investigation revealed that the plastic back end on the solenoid was loose. There look to be two holes where there should be bolts/screws holding the plastic terminal end fast tohe metal body of the solenoid but there are none there. Should there be? If so, does anybody know what size so I can pick some up. Obviously, this could be the problem but it could certainly be something else.

I have to get this thing running well enough to make it to the tech day this saturday. I can't finish tuning the carb if it won't even start.

I have verified the battery charge and the relative integrity of all of the wires. The jumper that runs through a rubber grommet into the starter from the solenoid looks suspect at best. Could this be an issue?

Any ideas on what I should do next? I'm new to aircooled vw and this is something I've never dealt with before.

Thanks,

Sam
MintyBus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I have found a trick that works every time. It involves a broom stick and a cinder block. Sounds like fun, right?

If I use the above Neanderthal tools to brace the plastic terminal block snuggly to the metal body of the solenoid; it works every time.

Looks like the two open holes do indeed need some fasteners to hold the block to the solenoid. Something in the back of my brain forces to my consciousness a fear of screwing anything conductive into a solenoid juiced with all the optima battery can supply. Too long...., snap, buzz, fire....maybe electrocuted in the process. Low chance but enough to make me wary.

I have disconnected the battery and probed the depths of the open holes and they are threaded. What size is a mystery. Any clues?

Sam
Clyde

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what size those would be. You should take remove the starter and take it to your local hardware store and try bolts 'til you find one that works. My guess is m5 or m6 thread, but length is something you'll just have to find for your particular starter. My new chinese solenoids are glued together- no bolts at all.

use loctite.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
MintyBus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Issue is now resolved. Reply with quote

I have learned a lesson here. Don't assume every bolt/screw on your German vehicle is metric! It never crossed my mind that these bolts would be SEA....but they are.

15 pennies at the local hardware store and I'm back in business. 30 minutes wasted R&Ring the starter won't let me forget this lesson.

Sam
Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Germans Rolling Eyes

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: