1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Thinking about moving out there to Georgia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MK1_FTW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Thinking about moving out there to Georgia. Reply with quote

Hi guys, my name is Chris, I'm 23, and I currently live in California. I am a very active member of SacWater (Sacramento, California's water-cooled Volkswagen club). I own a 1986 Volkswagen Cabriolet 1.8L 8v (its only an 8v motor until I can afford a 1.8T motor out of a 2002.5 or newer VW).

I guess what I'm getting at, is whats your guy's opinion on leaving California to move to Georgia?

If I move out there I will be starting from scratch, probably moving out late February 2010, moving to Oxford (I'm not sure how close that is to you guys, I suppose I could look it up but its currently midnight so I have an excuse to be lazy). Will have no job, no friends, just my mom and my sister in Oxford, and my Volkswagen.
laith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a job now?

Do you like your mother and your sister? Enough to live with them?

These are the things that I would be thinking about regardless of where you would be moving to.
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I guess what I'm getting at, is whats your guy's opinion on leaving California to move to Georgia?

Get the hell out of that screwed up state filled with long lines of jerks and traffic and NEVER look back!

You'll realize when you leave that you have been giving up the majority of your life to have "good weather".

I grew up here, then spent the majority of 4 years in California as a Marine and hated it! I honestly looked forward to deployments and spending 6 months on a ship. The time I spent in Okinawa Japan on an Island filled with insects and poisonous snakes was better than California!

When my time was done I came back home. If someone held a gun to my head and told me I had to move back there, I'd probably tell them to go ahead and pull the trigger.
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
massive 79 vert

1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you didn't realize it, my husband doesn't like California! Shocked

Oxford is about 30 - 45 minutes from Athens. Not far at all. It's also about the same distance to Atlanta, if you like big town "stuff" (concerts, sports games etc.)

What kind of work do you do?
MK1_FTW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently work in a oil change shop/carwash place as a lube tech. After a phone call with my mother today and hearing that NO ONE is hiring out there im sorta standoffish about making the move, I spent 8 months out here on unemployment looking for a job but its just as bad out here.

I will admit, during bootcamp in Ft Leonardwood, MO I liked it better out there than I do here.

Anyone out there have their own business where they need some more employees?

Either way, When my lease is up here at my apartment in california, I am getting the hell out of here.
tito

1959 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i escaped cali a while back. best move yet. southern hospitality is a real deal out here, bub. food is better, women are better, people have better manners, you can actually afford to live here, and best of all is the shortage of invasive regulations and taxes.

Oxford is an hour away from athens. it may be an entirely different story there....

there are jobs everywhere. you just have to be willing to work. athens is primarily a service and retail based economy. so bare that in mind. college towns focus on a college employment pool. there are, of course, several towns real close by that need warehouse labor. the domestic automotive industry has taken a nosedive around here. so don't count on that.

athens has a 33-36% (depends on the source) poverty rate. which means that our cost of living is low even for Georgia. there are alot of aide programs around here and alot of non-profits. in short, there is quite a bit of opportunity for someone willing to put in a days labor. it all depends on your work ethic.

of course, that is how it is NOW. when you actually come here, things may be slightly different.
73 std Bubba
1600 cc
all stock baby
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Residents with income below the poverty level in 2007:
Oxford: 11.5%
Whole state: 14.3%

Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2007:
Oxford: 7.1%
Whole state: 6.4%

Oxford is near Lithonia, Monroe and Conyers. There are quite a few manufactures that always need warehouse work. That might get some money coming in until you find what you want.

Good luck in what ever life decision you make.
Call me if I need you!
MK1_FTW

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the club like out there?
How big is the water-cooled group?
How often do you guys attend shows?
I guess one of the more important questions in my eyes, are other people from the club often willing to help out with working on others cars?

I ask that one because I know what I'm doing for the most part, but there is just some stuff I don't know, plus even if its a one man job and I know exactly what I'm doing it's still nice to have someone to shot the crap with while I'm working.
Clyde

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We meet once a month at a restaurant, go to most of the shows within a 3 hour radius (about 6 per year?), and occassionally camp, cruise, and have tech days. We can be a tight group, but then family and school and work, etc... are important too.

Our water cooled contingency sits in a different area of the restaurant, so I can't help you too much on what they're about. Maybe Brian will chime in...

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i to lived in cali-I loved it !!! many metal/punk shows and the vw scene was great!! but could never get anywhere $$$ .i moved to GA 6 yrs ago and within a year and a half i owned a home-- as far as work i worked there and i now its crappy but try PEP BOYS they always need techs and most likely 10$ an hour but you may move up to other posions or counter help anyway look us up if you make the trip --GA is cool- good weather for almost 9-10 months but no real snow later--
MK1_FTW

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so bumping this old thread.

i DID move out here, living in oxford, and have no car, stuck out off highway 81 about 8 miles from covington with no car, stuck at the house all day, and my price range for something that runs and will get me from point a to point b is 500 bucks.

if anybody has anything please let me know, im also posting a new thread in the classified section http://athensvwclub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7090#7090
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: