1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Fuel Tank

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Fuel Tank Reply with quote

Pulled my fuel tank today, for various unrelated reasons. The tank itself has no leaks as far as I know.

I unscrewed the drain line and there was a little bit of crud in there. Peeking in, the cylindrical filter/screen seems mostly clear. There is a little bit of rust around the base, on the inside; but like I said, no leaks. I have a coupla questions though.

How do I get that sleeve-like filter out of there? Do I even need to? I'm thinking, while I got the tank out, I may as well replace the filter, even though I'll have at least one downline of this.

I'm thinking about trying the POR-15 tank sealer stuff. Is this worthwhile, or should I pay someone locally to do this? Who?

As I won't get to it right away, my most pressing concern is storage of the tank. I taped up the holes for the sending unit and drain tap. The cap is on but the vent pipe is clear. Just like when it's in the car. Is this okay in my hot garage? If not, why is this different then when it's in my car, in the hot garage? I'm thinking the smell of fumes = bad karma about to ripen; otherwise I'm okay. Yes?

Thanks,
Bruce
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unscrew the nipple on the bottom of the tank and the strainer pulls out. It is easier to clean the tank with it removed. Some people leave them out, but I keep one in the tank.

The POR 15 sealer is good stuff or Steve got some sealer for motorcycle tanks and used it. You can do it yourself, it just takes a bit of time to do all the steps. Maybe this is what we should do for our June tech day. I have a tank or two I need to seal.

You can store the tank in the garage, but I would not tape it up. I would let it air out a day or two and then store it inside. I have two tanks in my garage and one on the back porch and I have yet to blow up. Very Happy
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Clyde

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was like a two-three day process to do the motorcycle stuff. I ruined my son's wagon in the process, when I did Bob's 65 tank. And it smells ungodly. You have to keep the sealer goo from puddling, so you turn the tank every 1/2 hour or so, 'til it's dry. If we do it as a tech day, no one will need any beer due to the fumes.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, yeah. I just had to let the fumes wear off. I had the nut and tube off already; but there was lots of crud and I didn't see the flared end of the filter part. I've got it now.

If tech day is the 19th as on a previous post, and this area is covered, I would be highly interested.

Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: