1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Turn signal holes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Turn signal holes Reply with quote

Okay, so I've decided to use the fenders that came with my Beetle. They're in great shape, and fit (reasonably) well for repops. Even the horn grill holes are about in the right place. I'm keeping an eye out for decent OG, but until then, the only problem is that they are Mexican style -- no holes for the turn signals. I'm going stock and want the original-style turn signals.

I have measured and remeasured and re-remeasured. Ready to cut. The two small holes are easy, but the hole saw I have, I'm thinking it's not the right tool for the big hole. The pilot bit is too short, the hole saw teeth just grab and stop dead. Needs to be about 35mm, or 1 3/8".

I've been trolling the 'net. Eastwood has a hole punch (the kind where you drill a pilot hole, screw the thing together, and have at it w/ an Allen key), but only 1 1/4". Sure, I can grind out the rest, and that's what I'll prolly do . . .

Unless, of course, there are any other opinions?
Adams77

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an electrical knockout set for 1/2" up to 1" conduit sizes. Also had good luck with the uni-bit drill bit. You can borrow either, let me know.
Bob F

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hole saws work well if you are using the correct blade. They have to be fine metal saw blades as opposed wood blades or coarse metal blades and for a hole that size, a heavy duty 1/2 or 3/4 drill motor. I have used 3 inch hole saws to go thru steel building siding with a lot of care. A drill carbide rasp followed by hand filing with fine file would also enlarge the 1 1/4 hole.
74 Thing (in progress)
74 SB
76 Westy P22 (Arizona Bus)
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success (or something that looks a lot like it).

Thanks for the offer to borrow tools, but I was out and don't need too many excuses to buy more tools. Anyhow, I couldn't find a hole saw that had teeth that looked right, although some said they could cut metal. So I found a step-drill bit that did the job. I finished with a rasp bit, hand file, and then a rotary stone to make it nice and clean. I test-fit the new signals and they look great!

Now that I know I'm gonna use those fenders, that leads me to my next question: any recommendations for someone to do media blasting? How much should I expect to pay for two fenders? I'll also have to do the rear fenders as well as the hood, eventually. Maybe tinware later. I've hand-stripped virtually everything else and I think I'll puke if I smell aircraft stipper ever again, and I'm not set up for blasting.

Thanks for the intel.
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the same subject, I recently dug out some repop turn signals that I had ordered a while back from Mid-America Motorworks. It's a long story, but although I ordered both at the same time, they were shipped separately. Now I know why.

The first was pretty good quality, thick plastic, with a pot-metal base. Decent fit and finish. This must have been the last of their "good ones." The second one is a piece of shit (not to put too fine a point upon it); it's made of the very cheapest plastic and fits like it might have been made for a Trabant.

Sure, when I got them I did a cursory inspection to make sure they weren't overtly defective. Then I stuffed them in the parts closet (going to need a bigger closet!) and dug them out the other day. Only when I tried to test-fit them, and saw them together, did I realize they are the worst match since Sonny and Cher.

I pled my case with MAM, but it's been over a year so I guess I lose. I also noticed that the assemblies they now sell are much less expensive than the ones I bought, by about half.

Frustrated, I ordered a German lens and cover from Wolfsburg West, just to compare. Well, the quality blows both of the others away! Sure, they were pricey; but the lens is Hella and the cover is actual metal with brilliant chrome. I also noticed the style is more correct -- actually, a huge difference that I didn't notice until the parts arrived. I tried to include photos just now but that big electromagnet buried deep in my skull, the one that wreaks havoc with all things electronic, is acting up.

Well, live and learn. You get what you pay for. Or not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: