1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Injured Marine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Injured Marine Reply with quote

I should have posted this a long time ago.

A young man named Michael Boucher grew up with my older children. He is the same age as my oldest son. (around 22) We all went to church together and Michael was at our house many days playing with my kids. His parents were in my Sunday school class. We spent many weekends camping together.

Michael had several jobs after graduating from North Oconee high school. He then enlisted in the Marines. He had one tour of duty in Afghanistan and after a brief time back in the USA he was sent back for a second tour. While on patrol he was severely injured by an IED. He lost both legs, but he did survive. He is recovering and has a great attitude as he recovers. He has no regrets about being injured doing a job he loves.

Please pray for Michael's recovery and for his doctors as they help him recover.

This is the link to his Caring Bridge website where his family posts his daily progress.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/LCplMichaelBoucher/journal/1

Thank you.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Greg

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this is the price of freedom that a lot of people don't see. Michael and all his buddies serving in the armed forces are the true american heros!
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sacrifice is part of the job.. They taught us that from day one at Parris Island and began preparing us for dismemberment and deathas much as possible.

This is why you don't see USMC ads that start off with "get your college for free", because we don't want that breed in our ranks. What we do want are those dedicated to God, Country and Corp.

Just think, Michael made this sacrifice at an age where the majority of his peers are wearing their hats sideways, and have their pants falling half way off their asses. They are either living at home mooching off their parents, or sitting in a classroom thinking mostly about partying their asses off every night. They are learning nothing while burning up Mommy and Daddy's money, or wasting Government aid.

Those like Michael that step up and run to the sound of the guns, even while we are engaged in active combat are what makes this country what it is. When I enlisted it was at the tail end of Desert Storm, I got really lucky without ever having to see full fledged assaults.
My job was very dangerous everyday, even in peace time because you never know when a 40 year old "flying coffin" is going to fall out of the sky. I saw a lot of people not as lucky as me (or even as lucky as Michael) and prayed every time that those engines went hot and rotor blades spun up that I'd get to live another day.

I didn't love every minute of it back then, but wouldn't take anything for the experience and knowledge that I was taught about reality, camaraderie and teamwork.

A lot of people do not know that the #1 mission of the Marine Corp is "Mission Accomplishment", followed by "Troop Welfare". Think about that~

Thanks, Michael.
(BTW- This post reminded me that it was time for a haircut, I am starting to feel like a "nasty civilian" :-)

66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Thanks Michael Reply with quote

And to all who serve. Glad he has a great spirits. He is a real HERO!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: