1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Defroster Hoses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Defroster Hoses Reply with quote

I've been at it for two years now and this is probably the most frustrating thing. I'm trying to get all of the crud out from the inside of the A pillars in my '65 Beetle. There's a little bit of surface rust in there, and I've got some Eastwood Internal Frame Coating (with the flexible hose) that I want to use. But I want to make sure I clean it out as best as I possibly can without cutting a panel or something like that.

Problem is, on both sides, there are bits of foil from the old hoses and other crap wedged between the heater pipe outlet and the inside wall of the A pillar. With access very difficult, I just cannot get it out. I've heard that new hoses are a real pain to install; with this junk jammed in there I'm sure it wouldn't help. I've used my shop vac, compressed air, a magnetic stick, a coat hanger, and anything else I can think of. Very tough to access!

I would include the nice, bright, clear photo I took but I'm not having much luck with that either. Maybe I aught to stick with nothing more complicated than a three-story elevator.

Anyhow, any suggestions as to how to scrape, suck, blow, pry, or otherwise clean that area up would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any good answers for you, Bruce. But I commend you for the quality of work you're doing. This is one of the details overlooked in many "restorations." There are many pieces of crap under a pretty paint job out there. Hopefully someone in the club might have a tip or two?????

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Clyde! The best I'm hoping for is a decent-looking driver. Sometimes I think I'm not being thorough enough -- for example, I'm not taking the body off -- but I'm doing the best I can with what I've got.

What I'm really looking forward to is the mechanical side of things, including rebuilding the engine. If/when I get to that stage of the game, you'll know it, 'cause I'm gonna need tons of parts . . .
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. It took a while because I had to go on a side trip, replacing this bit of nastiness:

Ordered a part from Wolfsburg West. Wasn't happy with it, because for some odd reason, it did not include the horizontal little tab on the very bottom, where the drain hole goes. So I made a piece myself:

and welded it in place. After dressing it up with Dolphin Glaze and primer, I'm pretty happy with it:

Next, I could finally get around to trying out the Eastwood Internal Frame Coating that I bought for the inside of the pillars:

Before:

After:

(There is a reason the photos are different sizes -- mainly due to the fact that I'm a computer idiot).

Anyway, I was a little leery about how this stuff is applied but it rocks! Apparently, earlier iterations had issues with the tube popping off in the middle of the action (I hate it when that happens!) but as you can see in the pic, the tube is now incorporated into the nozzle (in the bag). It flows very well (remember to plug/tape anything you don't want covered!). Of course, time will tell. But so far, so good. I plan on using this stuff in other hidden spots throughout the car.

Bruce
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Bruce. I have a 66 bug for parts if you need any more repair panels or parts.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks -- pm on the way.
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No PM yet.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: