1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Cylider head cover issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KleineVW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Cylider head cover issues Reply with quote

I was bragging to my wife this weekend that my 1972 bug is running the best it has since we got it. Bad mistake. Driving home from work yesterday a steady stream of increasing smoke started pouring out of the right side. Gauges were ok, car seemed to run fine, and no sign of fire so I limped home. A closer look today revealed a steady stream of oil pouring out of the valve cover on the right side onto the exhaust. Maybe just a bad gasket right? Removed the cover and a washer and nut fell out. It apparently came off the stud that holds the cylinder valve cover to the head. So my question is do I just slap it back on check the valves and chalk it up to vibration, or could this be a sign of bigger cylinder head issues? Thanks for the help.
Kris
Clyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have bolt on valve covers. Vibration just caused stuff to fall apart. The stock ones are held on by "bails" and rarely give any problems. Use loctite on your hardware when reassembling the bolt on valve covers, maybe even use lockwashers.

I sold two bolt on hardware kits this weekend. Yes, that means two other people had the same problem with thieir bolt on covers, or they lost the hardware when they took it apart. I don't sell the bolt on covers due to the problems inherent in their design.
Hope this helps:-)

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do bolt on valve covers have a nut and washer inside the valve cover? I thought they had a special 'bolt' that screws on to the rocker assembly stud and the nut and washer are on the outside of the cover.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are thinking right Jon.

If a nut and washer fell out, I would say that the rocker shaft came loose.
72 Bus
68 Single Cab
KleineVW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure because this is my first Vw experience but the it looks like 2 studs come out of the cylinder head and hold on a back portion of the compartment in which the rockers are housed. The front part is obviously the valve cover and mine is the wire version Clyde talked about. The stud the washer and nut came off of does not directly appear to have any relation to the rocker shaft and and the shaft feels pretty solid, I'll double check though. I see a similar head in the haynes manual listed as post 71 models.

Thanks
KleineVW

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pics. The stud in question is on the far left of both pictures and does not appear to have any involvement with the rocker arms (which are firmly in place).

Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a head stud and hopefully the nut just wasn't torqued tight enough and vibrated off. However, it is possible that the stud is pulling out of the block and that allowed the nut to come off.

I'm not sure what the torque value for that nut is, but I would put it on and see if it will pull up tight. If the stud pulls out and you can't tighten the nut, it is time to call Clyde. Sad

Additionally, I would pull the rocker assembly off and make sure all the nuts are tight.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Clyde

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you put the washer and nut back on, goop them up with blue rtv. that'll keep the oil from leaking out. Torque it to 18 foot pounds and see if it holds.
It looks like a 10mm head stud, which takes 25 lbs, but 18 is better than nothing.

If it holds firm, you can bump it up to 25 ft lbs.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
KleineVW

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looks like its time for my first engine rebuild. Both head studs under the valve cover for cylinder 2 won't tighten to more than 5 ft/lbs. I dropped the engine and checked the other bolts under the tin and one of the nuts for cylinder 1 was missing and the other stud is loose. Yanked off the head and cylinder #2 has a good amount of oil in it. Add to that 2 holes in the exhaust and Clyde had told me previously i had too much endplay. So I guess the beetle is out of commision for now. I think I'll rebuild it myself, however does anyone know what it would generally cost to have it rebuilt by someone who knows what their doing or have a good engine for sale?

KleineVW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's official...the engine is blown. Both heads cracked, bad pistons, blown bearings, and a shot case. Looks like I am starting from scratch. If anybody has a good running engine or a good/quality used case please let me know.
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of older cases and parts I'll sell cheap.. Come take it all.
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: