1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Over-rev protection?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Over-rev protection? Reply with quote

Okay, so I almost posted this three times, only to back away each time. Folded laundry. Fed the cat. Afraid, each time, of sounding like a moron. Then I reflected that there is already more than enough evidence contained in this forum to make that case many times over. Plus, this is just driving me batty.

I was having a casual conversation with a coworker who knows even less than I do about things mechanical (I knew there was somebody). Actually, he maintained jet engines in the Navy but this doesn't seem to translate directly to Beetle motors. I mentioned I was into old VW's. Make a long story short, he recalled a friend in high school demonstrating how his VW could not be over-revved. He asked me how this was so. I had to admit that I wasn't sure. I do remember reading somewhere about why this is, but I just can't recall where.

I thought maybe the carburetor, the timing, the valves -- but then I thought no, it must be something unique to VW's, or at least unusual. Maybe more esoteric than that, like the harmonic resonance between the low-revving engine and the turning of the earth, or some such. Hmmf.

Now, this is strictly theortical. My answer would normally be -- who cares? I don't have or plan to have a high-performance motor, so my manta is to drive like an old lady and, most important, keep it cool. Still, I'm stumped. . .

Bruce

Noted on back of can of Aircraft Paint Stripper:
DO NOT USE ON AIRCRAFT
[/i]
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,
so like most things you need to prove this for yourself... Go out, fire the engine up and throw a brick on the throttle pedal... Walk away and come back in 10 minutes to see if you have running engine, a fireball or a perforated crankcase...

I pretty much know you'll have the latter, not the former..
Anything can be over revved, especially if you miss a gear and shift from 4th to second or something crazy.

I used to blow a dozen engines per year for fun, all at wide open throttle...
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Adams77

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your friend may have meant over-revved with a load on the engine, like the brick on the gas pedal (cruise control) while driving.

Tired motor in 4th gear on a long stretch may never see redline rpms.
Clyde

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are rev limiting rotors available for the vw. It kinda makes it like a rental truck, so a moron can't destroy it.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: