1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Hey Jake will you post about your 1679?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Hey Jake will you post about your 1679? Reply with quote

Jake, I read about your type 1 1679 and thought that would be something our members would like to read about. Would you post that info here? Thanks.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, do you mind if I copy your post from your forums to this one?
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mind at all...

Its running good... You'll see it soon. 912 too!!
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like it would be a good engine for a bus. What are your thoughts on that?
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I built a 1679cc (with machine in 88mm cylinders) T1 engine for a friend of mine.. He put 60K miles on it, but decided to graduate up to a TIV engine for his 181 (and never look back!). He ended up donating me the tired RAT 1679 for R&D purposes a year or so ago.

I recently bought a 73 Super with no engine and had planned on throwing a TIV into it, but just haven't had the time to prepare one.. Well my Nephew has been in training with us for a year now, so I decided to have him tear down the 1679, reconfigure it and patch it up for some service in the Super. That worked well since I could stand another daily driver with heat while I finish my 912E revitalization, so I don't have to drive a damn 996 everyday!

So the 60K mile engine was torn down, the only thing that was worn were the camshaft thrust bearings. We honed the cylinders, replaced the bearings, replaced the rings and did a good valve job with new valves. The only changes I made to it was adding an Engle FK-41 Camshaft coupled to a 1.4 ratio rocker, a .035 deck and ended up at 9.6:1 CR.

My Nephew then balanced the assembly and assembled it. We topped it off with a Mallory Uni-Lite Dizzy and an ACE prepped single 40 Dellorto DRLA carburetor. I ran the single to keep the engine super simple and easy to work on. The Ace prepped carb ran perfect out of the box and needed zero tuning to dial in perfectly at both part and wide open throttle.. I only needed to touch the mixture controls.

All in all the cost to reconfigure the engine cost 237.00 to include the new cam and Engle lifters, bearings and rings. I spent more on the carb rebuild than the entire rest of the engine as it was 95% used parts, a true sweep the floor powerplant.

So today my Nephew installed the engine.. We then dumped a healthy dose of RAT Snake Oil Break In oil in the crankcase, fired it up and broke the cam in.. I then took it for a blast up the road and I was amazed! I returned from the blast up the road and rolled it straight onto our chassis dyno where it made the following power.

Now, its been a long time since an engine only made 70RWHP on my chassis dyno and we have never assembled an engine that made less than 100 RWHP on this dynojet. Its kinda of hard to get super excited about such little power, but this engine is REALLY IMPRESSIVE. To create 70 RWHP means this engine is producing 20% more power at the flywheel,(roughly 85HP) now I wish we would have taken the time to bolt it on the engine dyno too!

The torque curve is impressive and extremely flat with a huge concentration of torque below 3,000 RPM, perfect for the tall gearing the Super has as it was previously equipped with a 2270 TIV that loves tall gearing. 75MPH is achieved at only 3,400 RPM between the tall tires and tall gears, but this engine pulls the gear very well, unbelievably well.

I never expected this engine to produce this much power, or to have this level of throttle response with a stock weight flywheel and a single 40mm Dellorto with no port work and simply prepared 041 valved heads.

Even the exhaust system is used and its only a 1-3/8" Chinese system with a single quiet pack... It fits this combo perfectly and appears to have more potential in the top end as the engine is still leaning out up top, not richening up, which generally indicates inefficiency.

I highly recommend this combo for anyone wanting to build a small displacement, great driving, cheap torquer combo. The FK 41 camshaft is really impressive, we'll be watching oil samples from this engine to monitor the life of the new Engle lifters and to continue our oil development... The FK 41 was the cam that was closest to what my camshaft iterator chose for peak torque at such a low RPM when i set up the iteration parameters within the software. It is performing exactly as I expected, and that torque curve reminds me of a TIV!

Its been twenty years since I've driven a ACVW with less than 140HP, but this engine is so snappy and fun to drive, I don't miss the added power as much as I believed I would.. Its not "MassIVe and its not bad ass, but it is simple, does have great heat and didn't cost me anything to create while giving my Nephew more experience. I'll be doing my best to break it for the remainder of the winter!

Here is the recipe:
69X88
DPR 69mm CT/WT crank
Stock 311B rods
FK 41 cam, 112* LC
.035 deck, 9.6:1 CR static
Single Dellorto 40 with 34 vents
Genuine 041 heads, no port work, competition valve job, port fluffing only
1.4 ratio rocker
Manton pushrods

This is the thread from Jake's forums, unfortunately I don't know how to copy the dyno charts.
73 Bug
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: