1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Electrical short with Brakelights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KleineVW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Electrical short with Brakelights Reply with quote

I'm relatively new to the VW scene. I've always wanted a bug and purchased a 72 standard about a year and a half go. Since then I've spent my evenings figuring out how to keep it running, and using it as a daily driver. I've met my match though.....The wiring in my bug was horrible with wires leading to nowhere and radio speaker wire substituted and spliced in everywhere. I thought I had it under control after nights of tracing wires and rewiring and had no electrical problems for 3-4 months. Then out of nowhere I began blowing fuse 11. I've been battling this problem for over a month now to no avail. Sometimes the fuse will blow in 5 minutes, sometimes I'm good for 3 days. That fuse only runs the brake lights and a wire I can't seem to trace as it enters the harness (The wiring diagram says it goes to a "control valve"). But via the process of elimination it seems like it blows only when the brake lights are connected. I have traced all the brake wires and don't see any cause for a short. I've taken apart the lights and cleaned/checked the connections. Any other ideas? Would a faulty brake switch at the master cylinder cause a short or just non-functioning lights? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am officially frustrated by the problem now.

Thanks

Kris
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the fuse blow when you hit the brakes only, or immediately after install when the key is turned on?
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
KleineVW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find a relationship between the fuse blowing and anything else. Its blown while on the open road with no braking. Its blown at 1000 RPM and 3800 RPM, sometimes its blown right after i start the car, sometimes I can drive all day without it blowing, (i.e. drove all the way from athens to Bug-A-Puluza and back without it blowing and the next day it blew within a mile of the house). I drove for 4 days without brake lights (Don't try this at home Smile ) and it didn't blow but I plug the brake lights back in the circuit and it starts blowing the next day (That's why I assumed the short was there).
Clyde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the grommets where the wires go through the body near the tail lights. And the connections at the terminal blocks behind the side tarboards in the engine compartment. The 1/4" male connectors can come unconnected there and touch your fenderwell, causing a short.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also check the fuse box unit.. I have seen them become internally shorted as well.
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Blowinsmokebbq

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant help with the problem !
But your bug looks good if it helps.
Hope you figure it out.
later
Jeff E.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: