1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

1965 Beetle Rebuild
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Current Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: 1965 Beetle Rebuild Reply with quote

I've been at work on this Beetle for almost three years. Having never attempted anything like this before, I'm a complete newbie. I posted some pics about it in August, but apparently they got sucked up in the mysterious cybervortex and are gone. I'm referring to the car that used to look like this:

And most recently looks like this (I have freshly powder coated OG rims in storage for now):

For the most part, I'm having a blast but it's just one mistake after another (I'll tell you about a doozy in a minute). But this past coupla weeks I've been doing the headliner, and I'm pleased to report that I think I've done something right for a change!

Before:

After:

That's not to say it's perfect, by any means. But I'm pleased with the way it came out. And yes, it is the "Easy-Install" setup, that I got from JBugs, with the video. So it's not 100% correct, but this won't be a show car. The hardest part, I thought, was the pillars. They wrinkled at little at top and bottom. They are solid vinyl, and don't stretch as well as the perforated vinyl that comprises the rest of the kit. Also, the video has you slather on the glue and have at it. Instead, I mocked everything up with a million and one binder clips, getting it all taught, making very gradual cuts, before I even thought about glue. I got lots of hints from thesamba.com as well.

As for the doozy, I was sitting inside the car, on the hump, waiting for the contact cement to set on a piece I was gluing. Maybe the fumes were getting to me but I just started looking around, my mind blank, when I noticed the number on the hump. It read: 5621586. I thought something profound, like "Hmph. That's a rather short number."

After I glued the piece I was working on in place, I popped "the boot" and double checked the placard, which said what I thought it would: 115 167 767. Now, I know both are chassis numbers, and that they should match, but to be honest, I never checked the one on the hump. Any fool can look at the car and tell it's a '65, right? So it has one of those spigot-style heater knobs -- I figured, well, it's an early '65 (October '64 to be precise). So the carpet I ordered had to have the hole for that. With this new information, I thought well that's cool, I'm just sitting on a pan from the spring of '63. No biggie. My own numbers don't match, so I really don't expect my car's to, either.

Just now as I was sorting my photos, I came across pics of the interior (what was left of it, anyhow) and couldn't help but notice the shape of the backrests on the seats. I haven't even looked at those seats in a while, since they're in a pile somewhere in the storage locker my wife made me get, but then I had an alarming thought -- mainly, the many hundreds of bucks I spent for special-order TMI seat upholstery (1965 one-year-only gray/mesh gray pattern) with matching door cards. DUH! I'm going to go out to the storage locker tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful. Looks like I'll be (re) ordering upholstery and door cards. Again.

Anyone interested in very affordable, beautiful new upholstery (should fit the square-shouldered '65-'67) or door cards (should fit '65-'66)?
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Carpet Reply with quote

Second pic has too much sun in it (would have closed the garage door, but the glue fumes were bad enough as it was). First pic more accurate, color wise. (Charcoal, pre-cut loop).

[/img]

Fitted new long brake line first (thanks, Clyde!). Will finish rest of brake system later as right now I'm itching to get the interior mostly done.

Next up: Refurbing seat frames, then new upholstery. Installing rest of the glass, including pop outs (all glass is original except windshield. All-new seals).
Thang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Cool
'71 Super Beetle Convertible
'74 Thing
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

But man, that Bus you're building sure does up the ante! I hope to do a Bus next; if it comes out half as nice as the one you're doing looks to be, I'll be happy.
Thang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've been working in New Orleans the past three weeks. (What a cesspool!) It's killing me to be here while the bus waits patiently. I'll be home next week to continue the rebuild. Cool
'74 Thing
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Upholstery and door cards done Reply with quote

Not exactly stock (due to '63 frames, which I decided to go ahead and use), but I'm happy with it. I bought all of the interior stuff from JBugs/TMI and no complaints.

So the big interior stuff -- carpet, headliner, upholstery -- is done. Most difficult things were: vinyl on B pillars; front seat backrests; and those %$&! pins to keep the door winders/latches in place! Kept as much salvageable "horsehair" as I could so hopefully the old VW smell will return, but also used foam padding, and hi-density seat pads for comfy-coziness. Seat frames were blasted, and then I primed and painted them with Krylon Satin Almond, a very close match to "Silver Beige."

Sorry for the gritty cellphone pics but it was getting dark and I was beat.

(Yes, I know the steering column is the wrong color. Argghhh!)
Next up: fixed glass and pop out install; brake system rebuild.
Thang

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Wish I was that far along on the bus! I'm preparing to get going strong on mine.
'74 Thing
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great Bruce. You are really doing fine work.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Joe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!
72 Bus
68 Single Cab
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks y'all! This is actually one of those cases where the pics make it look better than it actually is. Still, I feel better knowing I did it myself, than I would have if I paid a pro for perfection.
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the rest of the glass in last week!

I literally spent hours watching videos, and on the forums, trying to figure out how to do this. After several attempts I gave up. Then Clyde came by and showed me how to do it in like 10 minutes!

Anyhow, big thanks to Clyde and others who offered their assistance. Now I'm off to tear into the brakes . . .
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I have NEVER been successful with this.. Next time I am calling Clyde!
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Clyde

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were successful after breaking his first windshield Rolling Eyes . We lacked two inches of string pulling when it snapped.

I still have a hard time believing Joey can put one in by himself......

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't posted a while so here goes. It was a very slow winter. Since I'm new at it, I have to research everything exhaustively. I guess you could say I'm "book-smart" -- which, as we know, can only get you so far.

Got bogged down with lots of things. For example, it took me weeks to figure out which wiper motor/assembly I had (it had been updated to 12v at some point, and much research told me it was from a '68 or '69); learn how to disassemble, clean, lube, and reassemble motor; find and replace those little plastic bushings in the arms/pivot points, reassemble, bench test, install.

Also got bogged down with the cigarette lighter, of all things. Whomever originally drilled the hole (the dealer?), put it a little too close to the ashtray mounting brackets, so the lighter cylinder wouldn't go in straight. Finally found one with a slightly narrower barrel that kinda sorta fits. It will work. But the funny thing is, I don't even smoke! (Though I may start if the stress starts to get me!).

Last week I installed new defroster hoses that run up the A-pillars. Thankful, for once, that I'm a lanky get-sand-kicked-in-my-face-at-the-beach kinda guy, cause I can sorta reach down in there, as long as I don't mind the carpet tacks impaling the soft non-hairy side of my forearms. I probably should have gotten tetanus shots, but I guess I'll be okay.

That is just some examples of the piddly little things I got bogged down with this winter and spring. But the big project was brakes. Realizing this is very important to get right, I took my time, and redid things when I wasn't absolutely positively certain they were okay. But finally I think I've got it: new dual circuit master, four new wheel cylinders, new drums/shoes, (which I'd bought before I took the whole car apart), new front wheel bearings, new hard and soft lines. All parts I bought from Clyde. And finally, after many rounds of bleeding, adjusting, tweakage, and brake fluid in my hair, it seems to be working great! Now all that's left with the brakes is to adjust the parking brake correctly (I have already installed the new cables).

The new wiring harness has been in place for a while, and I installed all new stock-style tarboard in the engine bay. All that's missing there is, uh, the engine. Which I can't even think about right now, because I've still got to finish the wiring up front, assess the condition of my headlight assemblies, refurbish (or buy new?) the gas tank, install new fuel lines/filters (I do know NOT to put a filter over the dizzy!), and a bazillion other little things before figuring out the funny-looking four-cylinder contraption that's been under my workbench for almost four years.

No pics just yet because, well, for all of my work the car still looks basically the same (except: "dash shot" coming soon!). Anyhow, I always get depressed when someone else's project languishes, so I wanted to say that, in spite of being a completely incompetent idiot, I'm still at it!
Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the great work Bruce. These things will definitely test your perseverance.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Current Projects All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: