1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Low oil pressure at an idle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carl5coupe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Low oil pressure at an idle Reply with quote

Hi All
I have a 1978 Westy with a 2.0 type 4 motor. The motor is a low mileage motor, about 60K per the Speedo and the records that were found in the glove compartment. The bus sat for about 10 years or so. When I 1st cranked it I let it spin with the plugs out so that the motor would build some oil pressure and lube things up again. I put the plugs back in and it fired up. After replacing the hydraulic lifters due to weak springs and it ticking we took it on a trip to SC. The motor ran strong. During the trip we noticed that the oil light was coming on at red lights and stop signs. We kept the light off by keeping up the idle somewhere around 1000 RPMs. I changed the oil again and checked the pressure with a gauge and after it gets hot it is dropping below 10lbs. Again this is a low mileage motor.

Is it possible that the oil pressure spring and plunger are week from sitting for so many years? Should I check the oil pump? I’m using 20/50 oil.

Carl
Greg

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, Have you taken the oil pressure spring out and verified the plunger is moving freely?
Carl5coupe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled the plug holding them in and they both fell out, The spring measures 38.61 when its out on the bench.
Greg

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl5coupe wrote:
I pulled the plug holding them in and they both fell out.

That's a good thing, don't get them mixed up Smile

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Check the Bentley to verify the length, there were 2 plugs right?
Carl5coupe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know of one by the pump. We did see on the internet that there may be two but didn't know where to find the other.
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil is getting too hot, losing viscosity and losing the ability to maintain pressure.

What oil brand are you using? The viscosity index of all oils isn't the same, even at the same weight. It is possible for a 20/50 wt oil to only be a 50 grade at 212*F, which is where the oil is measured during API analysis. This means at 220F or higher some oils will behave like a heavier or lighter weight oil based on their viscosity index. Some oils at 250*F are a 45 weight, others are a 27-30 weight.

If I had to guess, you are running Castrol GTX. Do your homework on these engines in regard to oils and learn.

That said, buy yourself an oil pressure gauge, oil temperature gauge and cylinder head temperature gauge. Don't drive blind.

Engines that sit for long periods of time are known for issues from corrosive wear. Its also hell on the valve springs to stay compressed for long periods of time in storage. I'd certainly change the springs proactively, to be safe.
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Carl5coupe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake
I' working on making the changes you stated, The motor is out of the bus now so it would be the time to replace the valve springs and make room on the # 3 cylinder for the head temp sensor at the spark plug. I know that there is another place for the sensor by the plug, what would be best? I’m not sure what oil I used but will look into what would be best.

Also
I was on your web site and saw cam kits but not springs alone, do you offer just the springs? I have called around and found none locally.

Thanks for your support
Carl
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can buy springs from Len Hoffman at Hoffman Automotive Machine in Athens.

The factory CHT sensor provision is for EFI system use, it is not an accurate location for a gauge sensor as it takes too long to see a temperature elevation (slow to respond) and it also cools too quickly.

Fitted carefully the CHT thermocouple can be fitted to an unaltered cylinder head, under the spark plug.
remember, head temperature isn't oil temperature and they are NOT related as they are impacted by different variables. Ypu must measure both.
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Carl5coupe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jake
I have my wife heading there tomorrow (Monday) that is if they have the springs in stock. I will call them in the morning. I just received the injectors back from having them rebuilt. I'm installing the the fuel injection system that came on the bus. This is my first time setting this up so I have been busy all weekend prepping, cleaning and painting parts. No more progressive.

Back to the oil pressure problem,
That is still in the mix and will get into that on the internet tonight to see what I can find for gauges and oil. I did swap out the cooler while I had the motor down to a long block. I wanted to check to see if there was any problems there.

Carl
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you had a progressive?

No more reason to wonder why it was running hot-
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: