1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Loctite

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Loctite Reply with quote

I saw a list, somewhere, of when/where to use Loctite when rebuilding an engine, and what flavor for each application. More specifically, are there key areas I should use it while rebuilding my 40-horse?
AndrewKirby

1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've researched, generally locktite thread locker is avoided. If thats what you are asking.

The one place everyone seems to be in agree on the thread locker is a small amount on the gland nut.

As far as other sealants... Aviation Permatex has been used for years, and is easy to come by.

An appropriate RTV is often used between the cylinders and the case, and and a small amount on the case nuts.

Heres another thread over on the samba

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433924

Hope that helps,
Andrew
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, that is exactly the thread I was looking for! I don't know if there's just too much info in there, but lately I have a really hard time finding anything on theSamba, or I get distracted by thought-provoking answers to questions I didn't even know I had. Maybe what my (psychologist) wife says is true, the part that nowadays they'd probably medicate me for that . . .

Yes, I've read that many experienced builders use RTV on the cylinder-to-case joint. But my understanding is that RTV sets quickly, so you gotta move fast -- which I absolutely cannot do whilst wrenching on the Volksie. So for that, I plan to use Permatex 3H (which I had to order online, because my recent (unscientific) on-site survey of no less than eight (yes, eight!) local auto part stores revealed that exactly zero (0) carry it). I know there are other options (Gasgacinch, Ultra-Gray, etc.) but the 3H seems like a good all-rounder, with many other applications.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
AndrewKirby

1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, theSamba is can be a whirlpool, I get trapped in it too sometimes.

I just saw the Aviation Form-a-Gasket at the ORiley's on Lexington, but thats the only place I've ever seen it. ORiley's might be the best flaps around, I think they generally have things that other places don't.

But you might have ask because they keep a lot behind the counter.

Thats where I get Valvoline VR-1 10w-30 oil (but its behind the counter, and you have to ask).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: