1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

our epic road trip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: our epic road trip Reply with quote

We took the bus to northern Tennessee this past weekend (8-1). The show gearz was having an open house and I've been a fan for a while so we packed up and took off.

We stopped at Nibbles on the way. A tiny restaurant run by Al. He had some jalapeno relish that was awesome.

On the way up, there were some big mountains for the bus, but 3rd gear works great Smile I'm really glad I had the CHT gauge--really kept me from burning up the engine.

We camped a couple miles from the Gearz shop on Thursday night. We don't stick out at all Smile

Couple of pictures of the car show Fri.

Which one of these doesn't belong Smile

Our bus at the show...

They gave us arm bands when we got to the gate and our studio tour was based off the color of the band. We were in the first tour. I was surprised how personable Stacey David was during the tour. He talked to us like fellow car guys just standing around shooting the bull. He discussed some of the builds he was proud of then asked questions about our rides. I had a VW shirt on so he knew the bus was ours. We chatted a bit about it before the tour / during the tour.

A couple of years ago, my wife had put together a scrap book of when I restored the beetle. We took that for him to sign. It was kind of fitting. He sort of got me back into cars and getting the beetle out. He always had a segment on his show entitled "What Are You Working On?" Where he features a viewer's car, truck, etc. Then at the end of the show he'd always say something like "well, you've seen what so-n-so is working on, you've seen my projects. Now get on there and work on something!" So I did. Smile

After the tour was over, the car show was kind of winding down, and I figured that was it but I was surprised to see Stacey kind of working his way down the line of cars, chatting with the owners, taking pictures etc.

He loved the fact that we had something unique and uncommon. He actually started in the car world by working on his sister's '63 beetle.

A little side trip to get some kayaking in Smile

mmm, Dinner is served. (on our way to Sweetwater, TN. to visit the lost sea)

This is our 2nd night camping. After the car show Fri, we drove from Nashville to Sweetwater. Which was about 3 hours in a regular car so bus time was about 5 Confused

This was where we ran into some big mountains and naturally...at night Sad Lot 'O time in 3rd gear.

This was also around the time I forgot my gas cap. It's currently at some gas station in middle ten Rolling Eyes

Tennessee's version of the worlds largest ball of twine Smile it's actually pretty cool. Check it out if you are in the area. it's about an hour north of Chattanoga on 75.

http://www.thelostsea.com/

And finally, we ate at on the border, literally, of GA/TN. They had a great Po Boy.

If you've read this far, I'm impressed and thank you. The bus did great. We used/dripped 2 quarts of oil. Lost one gas cap Rolling Eyes, and drove at least 700 miles. All without a working/reliable oil pressure gauge or light. (I know not the smartest but I wasn't going to tent camp) Twisted Evil.)

Last edited by Greg on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Johnny

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a pretty cool trip.
And the bus blended right in at the show...you guys just had a bigger hood. Laughing
mackay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I've still got that extra gas cap if you need it. JM
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the post Greg. It looks like a great trip. It is always cool to see the attention that VWs get at a muscle car show.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
pwmcguire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's cool, I like Stacy David , that would have been fun to do.
Clyde

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I really need to check the site more often.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Thang

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip!
'71 Super Beetle Convertible
'74 Thing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: