1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Trans install and rear end lowering Tech Day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Trans install and rear end lowering Tech Day Reply with quote

Sat. Feb 23 (this Saturday) we are re-installing Steve's transaxle and lowering his car's rear end. We'll probably put his engine back in too. Very Happy

We are working at my house. Feel free to come by and help, watch, or point and laugh. Laughing
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
mopel1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to help lower it!!!! I want to see sparks on that baby when you're done.

'64 T34 Ghia, '66 Beetle, '69 Westy, '73 Thing,
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: yep Reply with quote

I think I am with mopel on this one.Can I bring some beer and watch as the sparks fly? Twisted Evil
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring your own chair and enough beer to share. Cool
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are starting around noon.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Sapp67

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Clyde, Pete, and Jon we got the new (old) 1968 tranny in the car, new rear torsion bushings (lowered one outer spline), and new rear shocks on. We put the engine in and got it running. I think that I have some adjusting to do to the shifter to get it just right. But the tranny works in all four forward gears and has a reverse. This is a great step forward and I'm sure it will be a lot stouter than the old 63 tranny.

Thanks guys for all of the help!!! Looks like I may have to drive it down to Reynolds!Laughing

Jon, I'll come get it out of your driveway tomorrow so that you can get Mary's squareback back in line Laughing

Too bad Mark and Ron didn't come by to watch the sparks fly when I did a burn out coming out of the driveway Cool

67 Beetle (stripped)
67 Beetle
63 Beetle
mopel1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I missed out on all the fun. The wifey made me spend the day with her doing stupid stuff, like grocery shopping and cleaning. Can you imagine the nerve? I'll help you (Steve) put the new, new transmission in a few weeks. Hahaha. Word up.

'64 T34 Ghia, '66 Beetle, '69 Westy, '73 Thing,
Thang

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapp67 wrote:
Thanks to Clyde, Pete, and Jon we got the new (old) 1968 tranny in the car, new rear torsion bushings (lowered one outer spline), and new rear shocks on. We put the engine in and got it running. I think that I have some adjusting to do to the shifter to get it just right. But the tranny works in all four forward gears and has a reverse. This is a great step forward and I'm sure it will be a lot stouter than the old 63 tranny.

Thanks guys for all of the help!!! Looks like I may have to drive it down to Reynolds!Laughing

Jon, I'll come get it out of your driveway tomorrow so that you can get Mary's squareback back in line Laughing

Too bad Mark and Ron didn't come by to watch the sparks fly when I did a burn out coming out of the driveway Cool

Hate that I missed this one! Twisted Evil
'71 Super Beetle Convertible
'74 Thing
Sapp67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thang, I hate that you missed it too!

Mark, you may just get what your wishing for...a chance to help me install a new tranny. I just went for a test run around the loop and down some back roads for about 20-30 miles. Now I have a tranny that pops out of first and fourth Shocked

It seems to cruise okay at 65 to 70 mph though with my hand resting on the shifter to make sure it doesn't pop outta fourth.

Who knows how long it has been since this tranny has run. I bought it in a non-running car four years ago, and I'm sure that sat for no less than four years prior to that. Maybe it just needs to be run for a while to get it all gear oil worked into the nooks and crannies.

Anybody got a good tranny that they know that it does not pop outta gear? Or any suggestions on how to possibly correct this issue shy of taking the tranny apart? That job is definitely above my pay grade.

67 Beetle (stripped)
67 Beetle
63 Beetle
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: $ Reply with quote

sorry guys, had to work of all days. Then my wonderful wife, the furniture mover she is, turned the cario(?) cabinet over on herself. She cut her thumb but I was able to save the cabinet. Glad everything went well.
kabriolett

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve...I've got a good used bungee cord from my bus. It worked OK for about 18 years Razz

Actually, that really sucks after all that work. Its getting harder & harder to find a good used swingaxle unit anymore. My dunebuggy has a worn 1&2 shift fork, which makes it interesting trying to shift from 1 to 2 and
not catch reverse. Otherwise, it works fine. Thinking of just repairing it since I know what I've got already.

Good luck with your search. Maybe you'll find one at Reynolds. Looks like another Tech Day in the works. I should be on hand to help on this one!

Bob
rustyfastback

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got used to my '63 ragtop popping out of fourth. Just hold it in gear. I don't take it on long trips though. Time to get that auto squareback to drive daily Cool Maybe you should let Jeff really test the tranny out Twisted Evil I don't think that stock clutch will hold much though Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Meetings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: