1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

carpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: carpet Reply with quote

Ok, has anybody in here ever put carpet in ther vw that WAS NOT precut or molded? Has anybody just bought a roll of automotive carpet and went at it? I would appreciate some feedback from you kind folks. Thanks
Sapp67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
I have never done this in a bug, but I have done some recarpeting in the past. If you have your old carpet to use as a template to cut out the new carpet, this will definitely help in the long run. If not, you can use some butcher or wrapping paper (brown heavy grocery bag stuff) to make a template from inside the car. Remember a bug has several pieces of carpet and not just one big sheet. 3m heavy duty spray adhesive and carpet nails for the vertical pieces (front bulkhead) are good items to have, and depending on the type of carpet, you may need to sew in or glue on some welting to keep the pieces from fraying.

I saw a ghia at CYW one year with custom berber house carpet in it. The guy did the job himself. He said that he bought a used commercial sewing machine and sewed in his own welting. It looked great...better than any carpet kit and certainly better than the stock felt carpeting that was used in late model ghia's.

Good luck with it. It sounds like it could be fun. Be sure to use heavy items like cinder blocks along side the tunnel to weight the carpet down until the glue drys.

67 Beetle (stripped)
67 Beetle
63 Beetle
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: carpet Reply with quote

thanks Sapp, I will keep that in mind. Thats the only thing about doing this yourself is the welting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: