1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

What do you do?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: What do you do? Reply with quote

What do you do for a living? Question I know what several people in our club do for a living, but there are many folks I don't know. I thought if we knew what others did, we could contact other club members for our needs. For example I need someone who installs fences to give me quote. I would prefer to deal with a club member.

I am a nurseryman. I work at a wholesale nursery. We grow perennials and groundcovers. We do not sell to the public, but if you know me, we might be able to work something out. Cool I can also recommend other nurseries for the best plants and prices. Very Happy
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I build motors under a shade tree in the back yard...

I might swap for some shrubs and ground cover if someone installed it for me :-)
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: do Reply with quote

I am an elecrician/hvac controls man. You could say that I shed light on the subject. So if your building a motor in the back yard under that old oak, give me a holler and I'll light it up fer ya'
Sapp67

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Landscape Architect and City Planner. I work for a consulting multi-discipline firm. We specialize in surveying, civil engineering, architecture, landscape architecture, and city planning. We plan, design and permit for private developers and small cities. We design infrastructure such as municipal roads, sewer systems, water systems, storm water conveyance systems, jails, city halls, fire stations, libraries, shopping centers, and subdivisions.

Boy do I miss subdivision design...taking 100 acre tract of land and laying out and grading lots, designing roads and utilities. That's a lot of fun. Planning on the other hand is pretty tedious with having to deal with politicians and finding funding for city projects such as parks and public buildings.

Aircooleds are an escape for me. I love the simplicity and the basics of design Very Happy

I used to do a lot of sidework for developers, builders, and surveyors until the residential development work slowed down a couple of years ago. If anybody does any land development work in northeast GA, I could probably lend you a hand.

67 Beetle (stripped)
67 Beetle
63 Beetle
Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a CNC and manual machinist. I oversee 3 CNC lathes and 2 CNC machining centers. Parts range in size from 1/4"-20 specialty screws to 18" diameter cast iron electric motor adapter plates. I make some really unique gland nuts and explosion proof conduit boxes for Reliance/Baldor/Rockwell. Sheaves (pulleys) and arbors for Southwire. Lots of goofy one off projects for individuals willing to pay.

I also run a small VW parts business out of my house, and sell at a few of the local VW shows.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
mopel1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a jack of all trades. Primarily, I do home remodeling and property management. I'm quite capable in carpentry, electricity, plumbing, tile work, painting with a large portfolio of past jobs and client work. I've also moonlighted as a studio photographer in the past, but haven't done much with it in the past couple of years.

If you have any projects around the home that you'd like finished or added, let me know. I can normally beat most competitor pricing.

I just added a pergola to my back deck yesterday while my wife was at work, much to her astonishment.

Always willing to trade work for VW related objects!!!

When do you want me to start on your fence Jon?

'64 T34 Ghia, '66 Beetle, '69 Westy, '73 Thing,
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mopel1 wrote:
Always willing to trade work for VW related objects!!!

When do you want me to start on your fence Jon?

As soon as you are ready. I've got a set of powder coated bus wheels to trade. Very Happy
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for a rail road repair shop for 21 years as a welder and fabricator repairing and building new rail cars.

I have a shop at home where I do alot of welding and small fab work.
72 Bus
68 Single Cab
Bob F

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking of taking an old railroad car and modifying it to run with a high powered air cooled engine around my property that needs landscaping. I would also have to find someone to layout the tracks and possibly wire the car for heating and AC. This project might require some special one off parts and be remodeled with some living quarter, but I don't know where to start. Very Happy Very Happy

Actually I have video production company of 20+ years. Mostly record seminars for the Georgia Institute for Continuing Legal Education arm of the UGA School of Law. Also record seminars for the UGA School of Pharmacy and the FDA. Local stuff includes transferring old home 8mm/16mm movies and video tapes to DVDs along with producing marketing videos for higher end show horses. Occasionally Transfer old 78 records, home audio reel to reel and other really weird audio transfers from the Clarke County and Oconee County law departments.
74 Thing (in progress)
74 SB
76 Westy P22 (Arizona Bus)
Johnny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the same company Joe worked at--been there 31 yrs....Started out laying rail & repairing rail for 2 yrs.-then operated a locomotive for about 4 or 5 yrs.-then went to the paint shop for about 22 yrs.-then back to the locomotive for the past year & a half....And burnt out on all of them...I can't turn 60 yrs. old fast enough. Shocked Confused Mad
Tronview
Site Admin

1963 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for a Pool and Spa related company located in Atlanta Ga. My primary job for the company is Graphic Design. I am also the companies IT director. On the side I do freelance computer and network repair. I have also been known to do my share of handyman household repairs and carpentry. If anybody needs my services feel free to contact me.
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: what do i do!!! Reply with quote

i wish little as poss. lol actually i left the harley davidson world last year after doing it for 11 yrs. i wanted something new!! so now i work at hayes dodge in gainsville" if u have to drive 2 cars it has to be a aircooled vw and a dodge" can that fit on my licence plate. i install new shiny parts and lift kits for the new car buyers. and do the new car prep--next month we are getting in the new challenger-with 425 horse --yes i love muscle cars as much as my bug!!!ok maybe the bug more!!! but thats my story and i am sticking to it, now i wish i could own a vw parts outlet store and fix up bugs and sell them , i guess i need to hit the lottery to do that !!! see you all soon cant wait for summer activities!!!! scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tito

1959 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i work for walkmart......okay please dont wish me dead just yet. im not quite communist to the core yet, lol. i work in the food distribution and warehousing aspect of it. good money, good benefits (health insurance needs a bit of help but thats a given anywhere), and plenty of hours off most of the time, and job security. i can take a shift working 3 days a week or 4. i used to work just 3, who wouldnt? but then id spend all my $$$ before the next payday so i had to cut that out.

i used to work at akins ford here in bogart/athens for a while. ive worked at dealerships in parts/service since i was 18. i love doing that but there is no security in the dealer automotive realm and being only 23 makes me an outcast amongst veterans who feel threatened for their job. and i can understand that. but i gave it up do to a back injury so now i just sit at home on my off days and salivate over v-dubs while i try to do as much studying on the air-cooled fun buggies as possible.
73 std Bubba
1600 cc
all stock baby
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: do i do Reply with quote

P.S. I also have a little powder coating shop up in the hills. I do all things vw and some things that are not. And we ocassionally build a good looking 'ghia.

thanks
ron richey
ron's 1 coat
rustyfastback

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at NAPA auto parts in Lilburn. When I am not at work I usually am searching for more VW squarebacks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: