1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

engines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: engines Reply with quote

With the new type I cases with the raised roofs and all the reinforements, what are the benifits with going with the type IV engines? all ya'll wiegh in and let me know
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the type 4 you can get HP and torque that will last 100000 miles. The power band is much better suited to driving on a daily basis. You don't have to rev the type 4 to high RPMs to get to the power either.

Plus it is just cool to have something different (better) than everyone else. Cool
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those AFTERMARKET cases will NEVER be as strong as a TIV is stock.. ALL ALUMINUM CASES ARE NOT CREATED EQUAL!! The TIV case is die cast and made in Germany by VW... The raised roof aluminum cases are SAND CAST and made in Brazil by a bunch of Devil worshipping 3rd world slave laborers that don't even know the definition of quality control. In absolutely refuse to use one of those cases- the last one I used cracked in less than 40 hours of dyno time and was never even installed into a car before it cracked.

Its laying out behind my shop if you want the piece of junk, but it's filled full of bullet holes and I ran over it with a bull dozer last week... Those cases are just another attempt from the aftermarket to use the TIV's benefits as an advertisement for "confusingly similar" junk. Its funny that one of the companies that makes those cases doesn't use them on their own turn key engines or their race engines. In fact I have NEVER seen them build an engine from one of them- But they'll damn sure tell you that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

The TIV is more superior in every way, the two can't be compared. Smart people START with a FACTORY engine thats already 40% larger than the biggest TI ever built, they then add less than 10% more displacement to that engine using mostly OEM or German parts to make an engine that generates over 100% more output than stock. The day a TI can add 10% more displacement than stock, live 100K miles while getting 30 MPG and making over 200RWHP I'll be convinced that someone with some damn sense has actually applied themselves in the TI world.

We'll be waiting a while, since everyone is busy comparing their Chinese junk and trying to beat each other's prices.

The engine in Jon's 181 has 92HP and was built by the VW factory in Germany and it's BONE STOCK. Thats impossible with a Type 1- period.
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to that on a mag case. About 15000 miles ago I biult my dp 1600 with a brazilian as41 case. All of a sudden I got what appeared to be oil cooler seals leaking . After 15000 miles? I don't Think so! After a close inspection I found that the case had cracked just under the front oil cooler ear. so I disassembled it to try and repair it . When I started cleaning the area I found a bubble in the casting. It was paper thin! It was just a matter of time before the oil pressure found a way out. F*** me right? So I had to use my back up case. I eventually drilled the galley over alittle and machined a bushing to press in it . That fixed it. So now thats my back up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: