1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

my wipers began to tick

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tito

1959 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: my wipers began to tick Reply with quote

and my generator light began to flash in time with the wipers. i turned the wipers off and saw a bit of smoke rise from my decklid. i rushed out of the car and opened the lid to find....nothing. no smoke not fire. nada. its 2 am here and ill have to wait till the morning to find out whats going on. i suspect its just the wires are old with age. and in case thats it, where can i get new wires? any clues?

also, how would i go about changing from a generator to an alternator? or should i even both? i only ask b/c my warning light glows ever so faintly with the headlights on and flashes ever so slightly with the blinkers - i assume its b/c of the generator.
73 std Bubba
1600 cc
all stock baby
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: my wipers began to tick Reply with quote

tito wrote:

also, how would i go about changing from a generator to an alternator? or should i even both? i only ask b/c my warning light glows ever so faintly with the headlights on and flashes ever so slightly with the blinkers - i assume its b/c of the generator.

The change is fairly simple and well worth doing. You'll need to buy an alternator (internally regulated is best) and an alternator stand. An alternator doesn't fit the generator stand very well. Once you have the alternator installed, there are many threads on www.thesamba.com that will tell you how to hook up the wiring. (or maybe Clyde can post it)

I made the switch on my Thing and it works great. Very Happy
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Clyde

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a fire extinguisher first Embarassed

Alternators are like $160.00-$180.00 nowadays. That winking your generator is doing is just to let you know it's under a strain, or your idle is a tad slow. I've been wanting to upgrade for years, but my generator just keeps on going..... no reason to junk a good setup before its time.

I've got the diagram to eliminate the voltage regulator as a bookmark in one of my manuals. It's real simple.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: