1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Good time at Bug-A-Paluza

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Shows and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Good time at Bug-A-Paluza Reply with quote

The first outing with the Vert was great... It was nice cruising up with Jon, Steve and Clyde and our trip home went well also... %3 is a bit twisty and I got to see how well the car would rotate under throttle... I had to watch it a bit since Beth gets car sick pretty damn easy!

We were even rewarded with a 1st place in the Vert class and yet again we started a war between the trophy hogs....

And the stupidest remarks of the weekend were:
"Is that real Carbon Fiber??"

"Is that a six cylinder?"

"What made you want to do this??"

And the best stupid remark of the weekend was.....

"Is it fast??"
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Good time at Bug-A-Paluza Reply with quote

Mountain Power House wrote:

and yet again we started a war between the trophy hogs....

OK Details please. Twisted Evil

We (Little Jon and I) had a great time, too. Despite fighting traffic on the interstates in the Thing, the trip up was good. No problems with any cars in our group.

We set up camp and got ready for the night's festivities. (made sure the cooler had enough ice) Had a good dinner cooked on the grill and socialized till midnight when the rains came. Slept well in the tent listening to the rain fall. (and fall and fall)

Saturday started slightly soggy, but with sun and wind quickly dried and stayed perfect. We hit the swap meet in search on bargins. Mike (Thang) was definitely the big winner in this category.
He scored a fully loaded Hazet tool set for $25.00. (a $300-$500 value) He plans to sell it to me soon....he just doesn't know it yet. Twisted Evil

Saturday night was more grillin and eating (and drinking). At dark we gathered to watch 'Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo' . It was bed after that.

Sunday was good for a little more shopping (new Thing windows) and breaking camp. We left before the awards were given and chose to take the back roads thru the mountains on the way home. This was a good choice until the Thing started loosing power and having trouble going up the mountains. (even in 3rd gear) A quick look in the engine bay showed that I needed to clean my fuel filter, but we didn't think that was the problem. We were right. The points had a nice big pimple on them. A trip to Clyde's parts store (which was luckily with us) and a new set went in. Hello 60 MPH again. Thanks again Clyde for staying with us on the way home. Very Happy We made it home with no further incidents.

Can't wait for nexts year's Bugapaluza. Cool
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold a bunch of parts even on Sunday with my sleep depraved look. I love the info sharing that happens at these meets. Everyone has a story, and typically they're pretty helpful. Thanks to Jon and Steve and everyone else who looked out for me by packing my tent and delivering breakfast, and Jake for the vendor tips.

My van got 17.3 mpg over the 300+ miles.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
massive 79 vert

1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Good time at Bug-A-Paluza Reply with quote

Jon wrote:

and yet again we started a war between the trophy hogs....

OK Details please. Twisted Evil

We just overhead this other couple with a convertible (who had been very nice during the show) complaining about me winning the class. We had been talking earlier with them about how I don't consider my car a "show car" and that it was driven there, not pulled on a trailer....yadda yadda. So, they placed 3rd in the class and after I placed 1st, I overheard her tell her husband this: "She doesn't even have a show car...I can't believe they GAVE her first place"

Sore losers...... Rolling Eyes
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
buggybus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to make it in the vanagon. First Vw thing I have been able to do in a long time. We had a great time, even with the rain.

We only have one problem and that was on the way home. Was on I-85 and just got to Pleasant Hill Blvd when it stated acting like it wasn't getting any fuel. I pulled off really fast because in a short time we started smelling gass very strong. Threw everything out of the back and found that the fuel line had worked off of the cold start valve. I ment to get new lines while I was up there and didn't. I guess that was my vanagon telling me I forgot something.
Put the line back on and had no more trouble.

Thanks Jon.

Pat
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, getting the trophies isn't fun- beating the whiners is what I enjoy!

One guy literally chased us to our parking spot Sunday morning and basically insinuated that we copied his car (minus the blingy Johnny's speed and chrome crap). He was bragging about his 2110 "Bic" as being "Custom" he then commenced to ask me where I "Bought" Beth's engine... His jaw hit the ground when he found out it was 2.9 liters and driven there getting 30 MPG...

Then on top of that, he won best engine.... He should have been sponsored by JC whitney :-) (obviously the show judges had no idea what the hell was residing in Beth's engine bay, thats OK, most others didn't either)

Seeing how seriously people chase the trophies blows my mind.. I think I'll capitalize on their intense desire and have fun with it the rest of the show season... wait till you see what I have up me sleeve :-)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, getting the trophies is fun-)

:-)

I think Jake is a trophy hound. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am waiting to get enough that I can blow them up with a 12 gauge :-)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
laith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon...new Thing windows? What style did you get...soft, hard, opening?
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new windows are the soft plastic like stock. They don't have the vents in the fronts, all 4 are the same. I never used the vents anyway. I got them from Aubry 'The Bug Man'. He has a guy rebuild them for him. It is nice to be able to see out again. Very Happy
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Shows and Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: