1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Distributor Goof

View previous topic :: View next topic  
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Distributor Goof Reply with quote

OK I've goofed. I'm sure I'm not the first and I am convinced this will not be my last. I did not heed John Muir's warning and read the entire chapter. I actually didn't have a clear understanding of how a distributor worked but I do now. I put a witness mark on the case but I did not note the engine/distributor orientation before I removed the 009. If I am reading correctly I should line up the single tick mark on the pulley to the crack in the crankcase. This should indicate that #1 is firing, then rotate the distributor around until the rotor is pointing to #1 and install. I think this is correct. Please give me a yea or nay!

I have another question, what is the difference between the steel .016 and the brass .016 in my new feeler gauge set?
Call me if I need you!
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do this..
You must find true TDC for the #1 cylinder, the only way to positively do this is by watching the valve events of that cylinder.
1- pop off the passenger side valve cover
2- Locate the 2 most forward valves (front of the car)
3- Rotate the engine clockwise until you see the #1intake valve fully depress (open) and then seat (close)
4- Continue rotating the engine (clockwise) till the TDC index mark aligns with the crack in the crankcase (like I set your timing)

This is true TDC for the #1 cylinder. You can now install the dizzy and index the rotor and distributor cap to fire the #1 spark plug lead.(use the idiot manual for this one) You will then work clockwise around the dizzy cap with your wires installing the plug leads in the following order: 4-3-2...

This is the easiest way to find true TDC on any engine, despite the number of cylinders or configuration..

The reason I recommend doing it this way is because you can easily confuse #3 with #1 cylinders since they both fire at the same point on the crank pulley..
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jake, I will do that and report back. I also put this out on Volkswebbin and someone said that the dizzy and inside the dizzy hole were offset and they are. They also said the key words "if it was built correctly". I would hope that it was so I not going to trust the offset alignment, I will watch the valves.

Call me if I need you!
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK something is wrong. As you might have seen in an earlier I did the torsion bar adjustment myself, eyeballed it and nailed it on the first run. I just finished putting in the 009, points, condenser, coil and the dwell was spot on at 25 (half for an 8 cyl meter). She fired right up within 2 to 3 revolutions and dead on. I use to have this brummm brummm pup brumm brumm pup brumm brumm and now she's just brummming a smooth pace. What the hell have I done wrong? Valve adjustment next. Hope all is well.

Dwell

Not so sure about the RPM's. The 700 is for an 8 Cyl

Volts. Not so sure about the 8.5v either.

By the way. Does anyone know why the Idiot book say "Do not jack up the car" for the valve adj? I'd like to pull her up on the ramps so I could get a better look. Just curious.
Call me if I need you!
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took her for spin and had a real pro recheck the timing. All is well. He said it's a sippy cup of milk off and it needs a milk dud to run properly. Jake Raby who? I didn't quesion him. He's two.

Valves in a moment....................and them a recheck of everything.
Call me if I need you!
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My method really doesn't matter if the dizzy is indexed correctly or not.. Thats why it works so well..

And, next time you should install an ignitor or compufire and keep the points in the glove box in case the module goes bad...

I hate points!
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning, learning, learning...............I believe in knowing how things WORKED before how they will WORK. I plan on moving to the dark side but I needed the education, in what I would call, is textbook ignition electrical.
Call me if I need you!
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an FYI. I took "big bird" to see my grand parents in South Carolina which is about 110 mile away. Everything went well. I got a little worried after I did the valve adjustments and had a little ping. I pulled the covers and rechecked and all was well. The idiot book did say that at .006 the valves would make a little noise. I pulled over about 15 miles down the road an the sound was gone but I did notice that the engine "smelled hot" and it was very hot to the touch. Since this was my first long trip I carried a healthy tool box so I checked the timing and dwell. The timing was a touch off so 10mm later and I was on the road. I went another 50 mile checked and all was well. When I arrived in SC I did a full check including valves and everything was fine. She made it back home without fault. The one thing that I did notice and it might be normal (Green VW Owner) but I was not able to obtain more that 50 mph up steep hills and often had to drop to third to maintain speed. Another thing I noticed was 65 to 70 was the max I felt comfortable pushing her. I needed a fifth gear. I discovered something on the trip up. There's nothing better that 4th gear, 60 mph, flip out window half way, drivers window down, arm out, NO RADIO, 71 degrees and 40 miles of flat, straight, country road.....................man, that is therapy for the soul!

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Call me if I need you!
Greg

1969 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain Power House wrote:
My method really doesn't matter if the dizzy is indexed correctly or not.. Thats why it works so well..

And, next time you should install an ignitor or compufire and keep the points in the glove box in case the module goes bad...

I hate points!

I know this is an old post, but.... I'm looking for recommendations on what brand points replacement module to replace the points with. Anyone have any thoughts?
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, You can't beat pertronix. That being said, When I put the 034 dist in my bug I gambled on a Accufire. Its identical to a Compufire but half the price and one kit fits stock and 009. So far it works great! Always keep a set of points in glovebox just in case. I actually keep a 009 with points installed in it in my trunk. So if my ignitor fails I can just loosen dist. clamp and stick the 009 in it and go.This is the first time I've run anything but Pertronix. I found the Accufire on ebay for $37.00 shipped. I will say stay away from Hot-spark. I haven't heard anything good about them. I think the single best improvement you can do on a vw is get rid of points.
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the pertronix in mine-looking forword to this yr at Jakes to get a better understanding of timing also- .We used a Crane hi4 in most Harley shops i worked in and they were great-chaged to single fire!! - good job on learning -Scott.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: