1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

The Day a Chevy won a VW Show.. (sad)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Shows and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: The Day a Chevy won a VW Show.. (sad) Reply with quote

Now, before I start to complain about who won the show I want to make it VERY CLEAR that Beth's car isn't nice enough to ever win "best of show" as it has flaws that were intentionally left by us that would never make the car "too nice to drive" and it is also not a show car. We have driven it 4,000 miles since March.In attendance there were many very nice, all original cars including a 1959 Single Cab that was perfect and has been in the same family since new...

But this show and it's promoter sucked!! I started to refer to the "promoter" as an "organizer" until I realized that nothing about the show was even half ass orgainized!!!

The craziest part was when one of the show assistants walked up to me and asked me what car I thought was the best in show... I told him that the car with the most points takes that trophy, but the 59 Single cab had my vote... He then asked me the same thing about the best paint...

I was blown away!! It gets better.....

So at the awards "ceremony" the jackass promoter gets up on stage and commences to tell everyone that due to poor handwriting on the entry list he would only be calling out "vehicle numbers" and not names or actual cars that were entred.. He basically made every VW Enthusiast there "just another number"... I felt like I was a Marine again with laundry number "59" getting yelled out to come grab my Mail...

So, at the end of the day the vehicle that took top honors was a 1977 Chevy Blazer with a VW Bug body sitting on top of it.... It was half ass prepared and wasn't anywhere near the quality of a "Best of show" trophy...

Hell has frozen over.
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
massive 79 vert

1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's talking about the show in Carrollton ... for those of you that aren't mind readers Confused

I've never seen so many pissed off people at a VW show in all my life. It was VERY expensive for a VW show. $30 to show, $10 each person to camp. Even the end of the day "smokin" deal on t-shirts was still $15 each Rolling Eyes For some folks, that much money for a one day show was just too much to pay. There were more VW's out in the parking lot than inside the show and the campers were in limited supply Saturday night too. This guy even wanted $20 from people to enter the burn out competition. Wonder why no one signed up??

Cars were "miss-classed" (Is that a real word?)
They had me in the wrong class initially and we had to ask 3 different people before they finally changed it. The sad thing is that Lindy Herrell is catching all this shit from people and he was just the sponsor....not the one that set the prices, screwed up the classes, pissed of the volunteers...etc etc

It just seems like a promoter that doesn't know shit about a VW and doesn't do anything to help the VW world, has no business hosting a VW show. He wanted people to volunteer time, products etc so he could make a buck...SAD SAD SAD.

I don't think this show will be around next year.....

We still had a good time though
jennifer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Sounds like you chose the wrong camping trip. Ours only cost us $39 for two nights of great conversation, a fab meal by Chef Joe, hiking, fishing, and musical entertainment (of a sorts) by Scott and Steve.
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...But we did get to amaze some Alabama folks..
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
massive 79 vert

1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I did enjoy the impromptu oval track racing Saturday night though!

Lindy, Jake, Fluffy and Woody took to the paved oval at the fairground for a few "spirited" laps. It was all good until we saw Woody headed right for our RV. Here comes a yellow vert and all I can see is his white knuckles and big eyes. Shocked Shocked
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and I was racin with a vacuum cleaner in the passenger seat!!
I wish the old Blue Bug would have been in attendance, I probably would have rolled it on purpose!
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
smilingchi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Jenn. You forgot to mention the insane park ranger and the devil stick/jugglin' circus group on Friday. I'm glad I got pictures of that. I'll have James add them to the photo gallery. We had over 200 shots!!!

And it was great to meet Em and Teddy. They are cool! They need to hang out at more VW things.
Clyde

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Jake and Beth, about the money hungry-ness of some of the shows lately. If they want to make money, let them sell the concessions, and leave the car show to a VW Lover.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Sapp67

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Laughing I hope somebody filmed the race. I would have loved to seen that. Was there any paint scraping, or in Woody's case, whittlin'? I hate that the show was a "promoter plugger". I don't feels so guilty about missing it, and as Jennifer and Christi stated, we had a blast at Lake Rabun. Y'all should've saved a little drive time and hung out in the woods with all of us.

Jennifer, are you ready for another round of Scott & Steve's rendition of dueling banjos Question

67 Beetle (stripped)
67 Beetle
63 Beetle
69 KG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to what Jake and Beth said. High $, miss-classed cars, and general half ass-ed ness.
The car parked next to me, a '78 Brazil Puma gets put in the kit car class cause the judges thought it was a Datsun.
A type 3 Ghia gets put in with type1 ghias.
Best of Show should have been Hippys single cab or that lady from Newnan's 67 beetle.
Oh yea, $ 10. to enter a footrace in 98 degree heat.
Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the YU Buggin show in Griffin, the best engine trophy went to a 2.0 watercooled engine in a 70s bug. It was people's choice, and I didn't vote Sad
Next time I'll vote.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde wrote:
At the YU Buggin show in Griffin, the best engine trophy went to a 2.0 watercooled engine in a 70s bug. It was people's choice, and I didn't vote Sad
Next time I'll vote.
So it's all your fault! Damn Clyde.
Call me if I need you!
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 KG wrote:
Amen to what Jake and Beth said. High $, miss-classed cars, and general half ass-ed ness.
The car parked next to me, a '78 Brazil Puma gets put in the kit car class cause the judges thought it was a Datsun.
Best of Show should have been Hippys single cab or that lady from Newnan's 67 beetle.

EXACTLY!!!! What IDIOT would pay to run a foot race or burn their tires off?? Probably some dumb ass like the show Promoter!

The best of show should have been the Single Cab, or the 67 Beetle that you mention.. Not some half ass prepared, oil leaking Chevy piloted by an friggin idiot.

He is damn lucky one of those rocks he kicked up didn't hit our RV... If that would have happened he would have had that trophy shoved up his ass.
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain Power House wrote:
69 KG wrote:

He is damn lucky one of those rocks he kicked up didn't hit our RV... If that would have happened he would have had that trophy shoved up his ass.

OUCH...glad I stayed home. Rolling Eyes

I'm sure glad the rock my Thing threw at Beth's car last week hit the bumper. Shocked
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Attorney Isaiah Loophole

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde wrote:
Next time I'll vote.

Yeah that was the rain out version of the show only 24 cars. I cant explain other than that, but at least it was vw related. The people chose better at the second show.

Last edited by Attorney Isaiah Loophole on Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Shows and Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: