1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

1st long road trip......
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Treehive

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: 1st long road trip...... Reply with quote

I'm trying to convince Em that the Hive is good to go for a 1200 mile trip to WV and back this July. There is a 4 day music festival that we will be attending, and she (Em not the Hive) is loosing faith in my beloved bus. In addition to a full set of tools, here are the spare parts I'm bringing:
accelerator cable, clutch cable, points, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor, alternator belts (2), 5 qts of oil, valve gaskets.

Short of a valve adjustment (which I will be taking care of before we leave), she has a new clutch and flywheel, new carb, new heads, new alternator, new voltage regulator, and 3000 mi ago Joey at all around restos gave her a complete tune up and clean bill of health. While I am beginning to learn that there are a myriad of possible problems that could occur on the road, I am pretty confident that with a Muir, Bentley, and all the tools and spare parts I'm bringing, I could make it there and back.

Have any of you guys tackled a trip of this distance in your babies?
What additional parts do you guys suggest I bring?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Let the smart ass comments commence (insert Jon's comments here Razz )

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

74 Westy

Last edited by Treehive on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
laith

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to go to type2.com and look at the AIRS list.
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st long road trip...... Reply with quote

Treehive wrote:

Is there a beautiful woman out there some where who loves sex, music, beer, vw's and also happens to be a mute?? Twisted Evil

There is, but I married her. Cool Ok she's not quite mute, but that's no problem, as she always agrees with me. Very Happy

Maybe Em is just using the 'don't trust the bus' excuse so she doesn't have to spend FOUR DAYS with Ted. Twisted Evil

Follow Laith's advise and sign up on the AIRS list, then print out the list of folks on the list who are along your route.

You'll make it. Type 4 engines can go long distances even when all is not right with them. Very Happy
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash light, cell phone and make sure that water jug in your sink is full. The body can run for a while without food but not without water. X3 on the AIRS list.

Toilet paper, bug spray and sunscreen!

Have fun, she'll (treehive) make it. Very Happy
Call me if I need you!
jimbear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: stuff Reply with quote

In my '72 I drove all over NY for several years and in my '67 I drove around Colorado then back to NY then to the MA coast and back to NY then to GA, and back and forth between NY and GA several times...I had a multitude of issues including multiple engine pulls and a trannie replacement, (I did not do the trannie replacement). Everything else was me and what I had in the rig, the Idiots guide, and an old Chiltons guide. In the end if you could have one of everything you would be better off. However, plan as you see fit, as you can afford, and trust...

In no particular order these are the things I like to have. The underlined stuff did not go with me to Florida last month...

~A fire extinguisher...must have...ask me sometime about putting out an engine fire with a flannel shirt...
~got a floor jack or a good bottle jack? How about a jack stand or two as well? On trips I take those. And a comfy something to lay on in the event you have to be on yer back fer awhile, ya slut...
~an extra old towel or two and a few rags
~Fuses and bulbs
~Extra fuel line, the nylon braded kind. See Clyde...
~a gas can on the roof rack, along with a spare tire...looks boss too!~Gasket maker, in the event of a vac leak or something, something.
~gum out to help detect any vac leak
~A wire coat hanger...ya never know.
~Electrical tape...
~Breadown beer, should be a 40, or a big something, a Rogue, or Sammie Smiths for that trip...never leave home with out one and drink it warm (if ya have to) pulling into the lot! Even if you have other beer, drink the break down beer and get another for the trip home.
~an extra fuel pump wouldn't hurt. Is that a pull the engine job? I always keep a plastic milk crate (a true milk crate, not the cheap Target storage thing) in the bus in the event of an emergency engine pull. I can explain how to make the quickie engine removal stand if ya want...simple...
~drop in a core head temperature sensor for poops and giggles if ya got the time and dough. Especially with you going through oil the way you are.
~your game face, er, your bus driving face...

Last edited by jimbear on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
jimbear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Speaking of oil... Reply with quote

Just a thought. You had mentioned that you were burning through oil, right. Have you zeroed in on the bottom of the bell housing? There was a little port there in my '67 from which any oil coming from either of the seals in there could run out. If you are getting oil out from the bell housing area it could be the trannie seal or the front seal...these whould be replaced as you do not want to blow either and your clutch could get messed up...am I right on that clutch part anyone?
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: stuff Reply with quote

jimbear wrote:
In my '72 I drove all over NY for several years and in my '67 I drove around Colorado then back to NY then to the MA coast and back to NY then to GA, and back and forth between NY and GA several times...I had a multitude of issues including multiple engine pulls and a trannie replacement, (I did not do the trannie replacement). Everything else was me and what I had in the rig, the Idiots guide, and an old Chiltons guide. In the end if you could have one of everything you would be better off. However, plan as you see fit, as you can afford, and trust...

In no particular order these are the things I like to have. The underlined stuff did not go with me to Florida last month...

~A fire extinguisher...must have...ask me sometime about putting out an engine fire with a flannel shirt...
~got a floor jack or a good bottle jack? How about a jack stand or two as well? On trips I take those. And a comfy something to lay on in the event you have to be on yer back fer awhile, ya slut...
~an extra old towel or two and a few rags
~Fuses and bulbs
~Extra fuel line, the nylon braded kind. See Clyde...
~a gas can on the roof rack, along with a spare tire...looks boss too!~Gasket maker, in the event of a vac leak or something, something.
~gum out to help detect any vac leak
~A wire coat hanger...ya never know.
~Electrical tape...
~Breadown beer, should be a 40, or a big something, a Rogue, or Sammie Smiths for that trip...never leave home with out one and drink it warm (if ya have to) pulling into the lot! Even if you have other beer, drink the break down beer and get another for the trip home.
~an extra fuel pump wouldn't hurt. Is that a pull the engine job? I always keep a plastic milk crate (a true milk crate, not the cheap Target storage thing) in the bus in the event of an emergency engine pull. I can explain how to make the quickie engine removal stand if ya want...simple...
~drop in a core head temperature sensor for poops and giggles if ya got the time and dough. Especially with you going through oil the way you are.
~your game face, er, your bus driving face...

Damn Jimbear, maybe he should just pull another Westy behind him. Very Happy
Call me if I need you!
mopel1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I thought the reason that VW did away with the Barndoors and put the back package shelf up there instead was so you'd have a perfect place to sit engine #2.

'64 T34 Ghia, '66 Beetle, '69 Westy, '73 Thing,
jimbear

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: YUP... Reply with quote

That's why I am looking for a small trailer to pull behind mine.

Really though, most everything I listed would take up minimal space and are gotta have's on the road... Rolling Eyes

"Westies are made for packing, and that's just what we'll do, one of these days these Westies are gonna roll all over you..."

Oh, don't forget a rain slicker...
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite all our assurances here that the Westy was the way to go, I have it on good authority that Ted chose to cast his manhood to the side and drive his parent's radiator laden import to his festival.

I guess Ted's mangina kicked in and he caved to his girlfriend's fears, rather than proving the type 4's road worthiness. Rolling Eyes

Ted you TOTALLY lost the COOL factor when you pulled up in a TOYOTA. Shocked

I, for one, will never look at you the same. :evil:
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In July heat- I would have taken the air conditioned vehicle too Embarassed

Hope to see you at loco's, Ted Very Happy

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Treehive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
Despite all our assurances here that the Westy was the way to go, I have it on good authority that Ted chose to cast his manhood to the side and drive his parent's radiator laden import to his festival.

I guess Ted's mangina kicked in and he caved to his girlfriend's fears, rather than proving the type 4's road worthiness. Rolling Eyes

Ted you TOTALLY lost the COOL factor when you pulled up in a TOYOTA. Shocked

I, for one, will never look at you the same. :evil:

Tis true Jon......we ended up taking my parents 4 runner, and after driving through the mountains in VA and WA, waiting in traffic for 4 hours to get into the festival, and driving the 620 miles in just over 9 hours, I have to say that my woman made a good call Embarassed .

While I am confident that the Hive would have made the trip (probably in 15+ hours), we just didn't have that kind of extra time, but don't fret John. That bus will see plenty of great fall festivals in the SE........keep up the comments and you won't be invited
Razz Razz

74 Westy
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes There will no stoppage of comments. I call them as I see'em.

You have a camper bus, I'm sure you can find a way to kill time while waiting for traffic. :wink: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
jimbear

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: use that co-pilot Reply with quote

She drives, you drink in the back...
Neither drive, you keep an eye on traffic, and you both go in the back...
Treehive

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde wrote:
In July heat- I would have taken the air conditioned vehicle too Embarassed

Hope to see you at loco's, Ted Very Happy

Thanks for the support Clyde.......I'm not sure who this Jon character is, but he's really starting to chap my ass :wink:
I'll finally get to meet some more of the Athens folk at Loco's this Sunday.......met a few Augusta folk @ the campout, definitely some good people.........Em isn't going to make it on Sunday---she's washing her hair or something Razz

74 Westy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: