1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

House Bill 79 needs our support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: House Bill 79 needs our support Reply with quote

I got an email informing me about HB 79. House bill 79 has been introduced to make all cars 25 years and older able to run year of manufacture tags. It is also designed to remove some of the contradictions in the current law. Here is the site to view the bill. www.legis.ga.gov We need to write and call to support this bill and get it passed. This would make post 70 cars able to run old tags too.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's 79. I looked it up and it has to do with window tint. "Previous Sessions | Georgia Code | State Departments
HB 79 - Motor vehicles; light transmission through windows; materials; provisions"
Call me if I need you!
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. So you don't have to look it up. The stuff in red is scratched through on the .gov site.

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED
AN ACT

To amend Code Section 40-2-41.1 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to the display of authentic historical Georgia license plates, so as to increase the time period included in the definition of authentic historical Georgia license plates; to provide for related matters; to provide for an effective date; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.

BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF GEORGIA:

SECTION 1.
Code Section 40-2-41.1 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to the display of authentic historical Georgia license plates, is amended by revising subsections (a) and (b) as follows:
"(a) As used in this Code section, the term 'authentic historical Georgia license plate' means a license plate originally issued in the year 1970 or earlier 25 or more years ago and originally required to be displayed on motor vehicles operated upon the streets and highways of this state in the year 1970 or earlier 25 or more years ago pursuant to former motor vehicle registration laws of this state.
(b) The owner of any antique motor vehicle manufactured in 1970 or earlier 25 or more years ago shall be authorized to display in lieu of and in the same manner as the license plate otherwise required under Code Section 40-2-41 an authentic historical Georgia license plate which clearly represents the model year of any such antique motor vehicle, provided that the owner has properly registered such antique motor vehicle for the current year as otherwise required under this chapter and has obtained a current Georgia license plate or revalidation decal for such antique motor vehicle. Such currently valid Georgia license plate shall be kept in such antique motor vehicle at all times but need not be displayed in a manner to be visible from outside the vehicle."

SECTION 2.
This Act shall become effective on July 1, 2009.
SECTION 3.
All laws and parts of laws in conflict with this Act are repealed.
Call me if I need you!
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/sum/hb79.htm
Call me if I need you!
Bob F

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a problem with tags that were used multiple years. I think the display tag is only available to use the first year of distribution and not subsequent years that used a stick-on registration. Could be wrong about that though. Question
74 Thing (in progress)
74 SB
76 Westy P22 (Arizona Bus)
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct Bob. Others have stated that after 70 they stopped stamping but that's not entirely true. I have a 1971 tag stamped in the upper left is 71 and a month sticker in the upper right. They just stopped stamping the 19. I don't see why we can't run a tag like that but with current stickers, county included.

Call me if I need you!
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this bill passes, you will be able to run those tags. Each year there will be one more year eligible.
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Sapp67

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making a second attempt to restore the '63 tag for my bug. I botched it up about a year ago, and just left it sitting. I already have it registered for my car, which was a relatively painless process in Athens-Clarke County.

I sprayed it with Dawn Power Dissolver and wrapped it in cellophane. This stuff is great for removing unwanted paint (and "wanted" paint also). After 24 hours 95% of the paint just wiped off with a dry paper towel. I do not know how well it will work on the reflective paint that they started using in the '70's.

To run the older plates on your car, you just have to keep your current tag and registration in the car with you. Your older tag number is linked to your current tag and registration. I would imagine running an older tag would increase your chances of getting pulled over by unknowing police officers...we'll see, once I get mine finished and mounted. I'm already a frickin' cop magnet Rolling Eyes

67 Beetle (stripped)
67 Beetle
63 Beetle
71_georgia_beetle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sapp67 wrote:
I'm already a frickin' cop magnet Rolling Eyes
The rattlin' beer cans in the floorboard and the huge ploom of weed smoke boiling out the windows like Cheech and Chong?

"Isn't it on the back man!"
Call me if I need you!
Sapp67

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a classic movie. I love the chain steering wheel.

"Ah, man! I shouldn't have eaten that burrito! Stay together cheeks!"

67 Beetle (stripped)
67 Beetle
63 Beetle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: