1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Playin' in the snow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Playin' in the snow Reply with quote

The temptation of the snow was too much. We loaded into the Thing and headed to our nursery to play. After looking at everything covered in snow and taking a few pictures, Little Jon and I jumped in the Thing to have some fun. Mary had the video camera to document our fun. We took off sliding into the snow covered field and were having a blast until we hit the garden area. Someone forgot to factor in 4" of rain and soil that had been plowed previously lay under the snow. Embarassed I managed to escape a few close calls, but finally dug too big of a hole at each wheel. No fear a shovel I had. A little digging and we were going again. Time to get to firmer ground......almost, one last pass (attempt) through the soft area and we are home free.....NOT. We sunk, deep, not going anywhere but down. My friend Mauricio and I decided to push while Mary tried to drive out . Rolling Eyes She hit the gas and let out the clutch. The Thing went nowhere, but Mauricio instantly became mud man. Laughing He didn't think it was as funny as I did. Twisted Evil THe engine and exhaust were now in the mud so I threw in the towel and used the tractor to pull it out. Neutral

It was fun and is one reason I bought a Thing, but I think I broke reverse and maybe burned out the wiper motor. That was a lot of strain trying to push that much snow. The wipers quit about a half mile from home. I had to open my door and hang my head out to see where to turn for our subdivision and for the driveway. Cool

I'm glad it snowed. party0006
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Joe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You startin to sound like me and Johnny. Laughing
72 Bus
68 Single Cab
Johnny

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the video ???????? Happy Role
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About one oclock today I went to get my little girl from my moms in Crawford. When I pulled out of my driveway in Statham I got alittle squirly . I thought " hey that was fun" but when I got to the end of my road I realized my front wheels knew only two speeds, Turning and not turning. When I almost slid through the stop sign I decided takin the bug wasn't one of my better ideas. So I went back and got the Acura. Needless to say the VTM-4 Lock came in handy on that trip to Crawford. I believe that is the first time I've used that button. I was tempted to take the bug out later and play in the snow, but I was afraid I'd get it stuck. Either in snow, a group of trees, or a ditch. So we decided making a snowman in the front yard was a better idea.
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny wrote:
Where's the video ???????? Happy Role
I'll try to get it posted once I get power at the house. I'm at work posting this.

After getting the Thing out on the road today, I found that my wipers still work, but reverse pops out of gear now. I guess mud, snow, a type 4 and a heavy foot are a bad combo for a tranny. Laughing
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Clyde

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me an hour and 45 minutes to get to my in-laws place in Watkinsville last night. Drop spindles and snow don't mix. I stopped dozens of times to clear away the snow mound I was pushing, and clean the snow off the headlights. I can only turn my steering wheel like 45 degrees left or right (thats the steering wheel, not the tires) due to the wheelwells being completely filled with snow.

My wife's overnight bag is under the hood, the latch froze solid. Electric heater's in front of it running full blast, so she can get deodorant and makeup soon Shocked Laughing .

I tried the Ford van first- no traction. I wasn't about to wuss out and take the Honda. I should have Rolling Eyes

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no power at the house. It is cold and no fun any more, maybe I don't like the snow so much. Sad
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
kabriolett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Clyde! Thanks for clearing the roads for us. Razz
When you're running low enough to scrape the lines off the road, you've got a pretty good snow plow!
tito

1959 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, you guys had it rough! power stayed on here. i went to laurens place to bring her back here so she could have one night of warm rest. a BUNCH of trees fell in her neighborhood (on peoples homes and cars). having a bug was definitely a good thing. i plowed the road for traffic on my street along the way to steves where he rigged up an old rotting hood on the front of his volksrod so we could go clear out some local neighborhoods (and have some hella fun). hope you guys are doing alright now.
73 std Bubba
1600 cc
all stock baby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: