1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

New found power!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: New found power!! Reply with quote

I have and will continue to battle the 009 and progressive combo in the bus but I have made a change that has resulted in some awesome results and one new problem. I reversed (turned 180) my carb. The throttle cable exited the tin on the LH side looking at the engine. That, coupled with the action of the throttle linkage limited is range of motion to about 1/3. I reversed the carb, rerouted the throttle cable and lengthened the fuel line to match. I now have full range of motion and it will actually engage the progressive (2nd barrel) part. I set the idle, checked dwell and timing, took her for a spin and DAMN! I have a race car. Power off the line, power up the hill and the bow (nose down) attitude at start off, from the 009 has somewhat been helped or at least it seams that way.

Now for the problem. 27 Dwell (8cyl scale), 28 degrees full advance, 800 rpm and now she back fires on the decell or when using the clutch as a brake (going down a hill in 2nd) sort of?? By that I mean it's not really a standard "pop" that I am use to in a back fire. The sound can be best described with the word PUNT. Rev to 2000 rpm, release the throttle and PUNT, PUNT, PUNT until it gets back around 1200-1000 rpms. It is not out of the carb and not fully out of the pipe. I know that might be nuts but some of the sound seems to be coming from mid engine, underneath the bus. I have advanced and retarded the timing a few degrees but I didn't really notice a difference. Could there be something with the new orientation of the carb?

Thanks in advance!
Call me if I need you!
Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know jack about the progressive.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thing did that with the new engine. When I changed mufflers it stopped. I went from a glasspack to a more conventional muffler. I assumed it was the difference in the restriction that made it stop..?
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon wrote:
My Thing did that with the new engine. When I changed mufflers it stopped. I went from a glasspack to a more conventional muffler. I assumed it was the difference in the restriction that made it stop..?
I have a stock muffler so...........I don't know. Was yours a muffled backfire as well? It's just so quiet and that makes it weird. My last tuning event was backfiring through the carb, puked up a ploom of white mist, ignited and blew a fire ball down the ceiling of the bus so I am/was expecting more of a bang or pop as a backfire. 1500 and higher rpms is when it starts to pop on the deceleration.
Call me if I need you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: