1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Transmission Leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Transmission Leak Reply with quote

Okay. Here I go again revealing myself as a complete fool.

Jacked up the back of the Beetle today, a first since I've had it, to check/adjust the rear brakes. They're fine. But whislt the wheels were a'danglin' I noticed an appreciable amount of transmission fluid leaking from the general vicinity of the boots up against the transaxle, especially on the left side. Never left a mess on the garage floor before, so it seems to only have happened while it was jacked up.

It was the end of the day, so I lowered the car back down and decided I'll take a fresh perspective tomorrow, consult some manuals, and hopefully glean some help from the collective wisdom contained herein.

Ideas? Thanks.
Bruce

“There’s many a fork, I think, in the road from here to destruction.” -- Edward Abbey.
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 67 Bug I maintain does the same thing. No leaks till it is jacked up and left that way for a while. The boots are fairly new so I don't know why they leak, but they do. I now use ramps when I can and I keep an eye on the fluid level.

Not much help I know, but I'm just letting you know you are not alone with this problem. Cool
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Clyde

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's due to the boots being stressed in an unfamiliar position. I put limit straps on the rear of a 66 bug for driver safety (same function as the camber compensator), and the various times I've done axle seals/brakes/etc. on it, it's never leaked at the boots.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: transmissions Reply with quote

Now that ya'll bring it up, my 67 kg done the same thing. it was up in the air and had a slow leak. I thought it was the boot. now that I have had it back down on the ground, I hqve not seen a leak in a while. I guess I might need to check the fluid level.
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. In VW mainentance, as in other things (the doctor's office, the computer help desk, etc.) it's good to hear that others have had the same thing happen. Nothing worse than, "It's doing what? I've never heard of that happening before!"

So yeah, the boots look okay, and it quit leaking when I lowered it back down. I would check the transmission level, but I simply can't get the F#%@IN' bolt loose. Will try again when my blood pressure settles back down.

Thanks,
Bruce
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats kinda like," Hey doc,it really hurts when I do this" " Well dont do that".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: