1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

big -BIG THANKS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: big -BIG THANKS Reply with quote

hey all, if you did not get to Jakes this weekend , you missed a great time. i would like to thank jake and beth for the great hospitality, lunch was great
also would like to say thanks to clyde for not giving up on getting me home sat night(we got done around 12ish) also to bob for helping and getting it finished. when we left , bob took off and jim bear and i knew to go to the left bob goes to the right down to the pond-it was funny for a minute!! Very Happy thanks to everyone .

lastly i would like to say i learned alot this weekend, each tech day i go to gets better, and i hope each time i learn a little more to help out. see ya all soon !!! scott a

ps dont miss out on the next one !!! Very Happy OH I SHOULD THANK JON HE DID LET ME USE HIS 17 MILL WRENCH !!!
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: big -BIG THANKS Reply with quote

scott wrote:

Very Happy OH I SHOULD THANK JON HE DID LET ME USE HIS 17 MILL WRENCH !!!
You are welcome for the use of the wrench, you forgot to thank me for drinking your beer. It was tough, but somebody had to do it.
Cool
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, big thanks to the Rabys. Very, very kind of him to open his shop(s) to us, use of tool, lodging and probably close to a hundred collective years of knowledge. I have some awesome pictures that I am in post production on and I will post them soon.

Thanks a million Jake!
Call me if I need you!
Clyde

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake, we are priveledged to have you involved in our club. Offering dyno time and access to your shop for free is super-generous, and evidence of the trust we have all built with each other through the years. Thanks!

And thanks to Scott for photography and having an SD card to record the dyno sheets for us. And helping the squirel.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Joe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jake amd Beth. I had a great time this weekend. The 2 banger made it home in about 3 hours.
72 Bus
68 Single Cab
kabriolett

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Jake & Beth for your hospitality! I had the most fun I have had in a long time. The late night trip down to the pond was interesting though. Imagine my surprise when I suddenly ran out of road! At least I didn't end up in the pond. Wouldn't have been the first time I landed a vehicle in a body of water, but thats a whole other story Laughing
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you guys for your participation!!!

I had one hell of a good time making horsepower and helping you guys get the most out of your engines..

Beth and I were proud to host this and I think we should do it yearly, in April...

Bob, sorry about your trip to the Pond.. That can be rather scary at night, even if you know where you are going... And you came very close to a collision with a huge stump when you turned around at the bottom...

Can't wait to see the pics that Scott was able to take!
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
jimbear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

Jake, thanks so much for the hospitality, lift use, knowledge base, and insight...and later night drive-in style movie! I am processing my newly and gratefully dicsovered valve guide issue and will me dealing with that ASAP. This will be my first real deal break down. I am going to do the pull myself and then look to take the heads to your fella down here in Athens quite possibly. Rest assured I will be getting in touch with you about this before too long. Again, many thanks.

Much knowledge, many laughs, and good times...the RAT tech day rocked! Scott, how about a RAT/AVWC tech day logo...

It was also great to hang with the AVWC brotherhood and get to know you fellas even better...
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbear,
I was happy to assist you.. Now when people feel like valve adjustments are a pain in the ass you can tell them the importance of the INSPECTION that coincides with the procedure that can help avoid a catastrophic failure. People that read a book, then go through the motions with a feeler gauge and 13mm wrench are not getting what they should from the procedure. These people will wonder why they had a failure after those "religous" valve adjustments have been done.. Thats because they weren't done "all the way".

I know what I showed you on Saturday wasn't what you wanted to see, and damn sure what you didn't want to hear but your situation is the best case scenario.. This is the best possible bad news that a person can receive because it happened before parts actually broke..

Honestly, finding this illness related to your engine is what I feel to be the biggest success of the tech weekend... That may sound crazy, but we did save an engine's life... Before it ended up as another offering to the Gods of Speed over on my trophy shelf..

The brotherhood at this event was the best!! Beth and I are happy to have you guys as friends.... It sucks when we go to events and people treat us like more than just VW folks, for some crazy assed reason!
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too want to thank Jake and Beth for hosting us. Thanks too to Charles Navarro of LN Engineering for filling us in on motor oils. You really shed some new light for us. For YEARS I've sworn by Castrol GTX; now I'll swear at it. Laughing

These tech days/weekends are always the best for helping each other, learning new things, and making friendships stronger. We have a great bunch of people in this club. The best part is we all drive our VWs. They aren't just show cars or something we only pull out on warm sunny days.
Thanks Jake for building us such a nice shop to work in. It is nice of you to always be thinking about us. Wink

P S- I'm pretty sure a stock type 4 took high HP for the club. Cool
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm pretty sure a stock type 4 took high HP for the club

Hell yeah...
Nobody else's stock engine made that much power!
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey jake -do you think with proper tuning, a good carb or 2 i could hit 50 hp -
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you made was more than I would have ever expected... I'd think 50 would be no problem
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
modified 72 ghia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: tech day Reply with quote

I want to say that I had a terrific time and I was only there on Sunday. I got an answer to a question that nobody could answer so I could understand it. Got to see the dyno in action. Never seen a set of points do what they done to Clydes car. Now I cant wait to get my 67 painted and back together and get over and run it on the dyno. I hate I missed the oil class. I too have sworn by Castrol GTX, sounds like that aint such a good idea. Anyway, Jake I had an awesome time. I could live there. And I still think you have too many toys, but somebody has too. Thanks a bunch Jake.

Ron
Sapp67

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad too hear that beetlebug made it home. Don't give up on the dual webers, Joe. I think you're gonna have to pull the engine and put it on a test stand to figure this one out.

Once again, thank you Beth and Jake. That was an experience that most of us will not soon forget, and one that we will cherish for quite some time. Y'all invited us up, gave us free rein of the shop, fed us, put us up for the night, and did it all over again the next day! Wow!

67 Beetle (stripped)
67 Beetle
63 Beetle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: