1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

New to me...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: New to me... Reply with quote

Here is the dilemma, Jake, feel free to jump in at any moment:

Despite having put well over 75, 000 lucky miles on a series of buses, I am a novice, for those of you who have not figured it out. Some of you know of my valve guide diagnosis. That being said, my plan has been to take off the heads and have them dealt with by a pro. However, should I not jump in and have a bottom end rebuild completed as well? And, to what extent? A friend was telling me that to have just the top end done would be a mistake. Any suggestions or input?

Tell ya what, I wish I could just sell the wife's Honda and get a Camper Special!
Joe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing alot about aircooled myself (chevy guy), I would do a complete build.

Strong top and weak bottom = broke
72 Bus
68 Single Cab
Clyde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put an oil pressure guage on it. It will tell you what condition your bearings are in. You want 15 psi minimum at idle, and add 10 psi for each 1000 rpm increase. This is once it's warmed up. When it's cold you should have more pressure.

I'd avoid splitting the case unless I had an extra grand to put into it.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I check bug engines. Once it's on the ground, puta screwdriver under the flywheel and catch the bottom lip on the case. Try to pick up on the flywheel. You should just barely see or feel any movement. If it moves up and down say an 8th inch or something then you have some wear. Also push and pull on the belt pulley to feel for thrust wear. Again, a hair of movement is all you want .006 is the limit. If all feels good you can put some rod bearings in it without spliting the case. I always atleast put rod bearings in when I freshen up a top end.
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents- i agree with clyde-if it aint broke dont fix it- coming from the harley world we did tons of top end kits only- if its good then leave it !!! but if u got the cash go for it-- iam at the same crossroads my friend -!!
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a TIV, what determines if the case needs to be split is the condition of the cam and lifters.. If you pull the heads off the lifters easily come out for inspection.

The situation you are in sucks, but at least you know that the time bomb is ticking and can initiate preventives before you scatter parts.

I may have another good used engine that you could just slap into it, I'll have to check out whats in the container and what their history is.

Your friend is right, doing a top end without the whole enchilada is generally counterproductive on an engines thats 30+ years old and equally worn...

Anything less than a full build will have compromises and those compromises are what leave people on the side of the road and give VWs a bad name.

Rip the engine out, tear off the heads and bring it to the shop and I'll help you inspect it. I may have some good used parts to use in some areas to save you some money.. I have perfect cranks, perfect rods and etc that I have no use for.. Hell, you can have them!

(or you can make it into a CS Lite and become part of the beta testing party for this combo, like Scott is) The CS lite is based from your 1700 and it works damn good!
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
jimbear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: PM Reply with quote

Jake, I sent ya a PM...
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it and replied..
Glad to help...

One thing that REALLY needs to go is those damn stock carbs... It hurts me to even see them in the engine bay!
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: