1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Volkstock III July 31- Aug 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Shows and Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clyde

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67-on std. Beetle Varga/TRW is $34.00

I'll look into the bus one....

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again ken and inge- it should be a great weekend - looking forward to it. what brake system are you going with - my brakes were done last year and it was the best mod i (clyde) did on my bug-
kabriolett

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a reservoir from SoCal Imports ($12.95) online. Good thing, since I didn't have to deal with the a$$holes on the phone!
Supposedly it works on 67> type 1 plus 71> type 2 dual circuit cylinders. Going to upgrade the dune buggy first, then the Westy.
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to make it for at least Saturday. Right now I'm scheduled to work but (cough, cough) I feel a cold coming on. Would like to learn more about the brakes on my '65, and am interested in dual circuit and/or discs for the front. Also, horn repair would be useful -- it just ain't a Beetle til it goes, "Meep -- Meep!"
Sapp67

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an idea for a major project, if all are interested. I would like to get my '67 Beetle running again. It is yearning to get back on the road. It has been sitting for the past three years, and has been doing nothing but collecting dust and storing parts. This car, albeit rough around the edges, was a great runner and mostly original with a repaint and lousy bodywork. When I parked it, fuel was mixing with the engine oil, the cooling fan was out of round (about to explode), and it was getting hard to start. I will clean it up today and assess the damage to see what it will take to get it back on the road. The insurance and ad valorem is current, and it saddens me that I've neglected it for so long.

Here is a list of things that I know that need to be done, and I'll start on some of it today:
1. go through brake system
2. flush the varnish out of the gas tank and fuel line (I'm glad that I coated the tank)
3. new cooling fan
4. new starter or hard start relay

Here is a picture of the car (6 year old picture), but it still looks the same:

Does this sound like a good victim for VOLKSTOCK III?

67 Beetle (stripped)
67 Beetle
63 Beetle
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Steve. I'm in it for the beer and education.
Call me if I need you!
Clyde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far we have :

Scott A.: shift rod bushing, rear brake adjustments

Inge: disk brake conversion on a std. ball joint beetle

James: dual circuit conversion

Bruce: Horn, dual circuit conversion

Steve: fuel system cleaning, brake system check up, replace stock 67 cooling fan, diagnose starter problem, diagnose tune up issues

If there are any parts needed, Please let me know by this Wednesday, 'cause that's when my order is going in.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327

Last edited by Clyde on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could go for some dual carb tuning. Nothing major, just tweaking. A little rich I think.

And if you are looking to assign duties this year to help the flow...................I can do the shifter bushings and horns.
Call me if I need you!
Clyde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott!! I'll have a beer and watch the horn fixin!

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Thang

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde wrote:
Thanks Scott!! I'll have a beer !

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
'71 Super Beetle Convertible
'74 Thing
Sapp67

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clyde,
I'm skipping my horn and decklid repair. That is on my '63. That can wait. I just want to get the '67 running and stopping. I torn into the '67 today. I cleaned out the interior and repaired the handbrake. I pulled the gas tank and drained the 3 year old fuel (varnish). Then I flushed it with some new fuel. The tank is fine since I coated it a while back. Even the pinholes in the bottom of the tank that I jb welded is holding up. I still need to blow ar through the hard fuel line. I pulled the front drums off, and the wheel cylinders seem to be okay...at least they are not leaking. The adjuster stars turn, but the shoes are shot. I could use a new right front drum. I'll probably pull one off my other '67. The liners look fine, but one of the lug holes is stripped. Outer wheel bearing seem to be okay. I pressure washed most of the grease and grime off the front end. The master cylinder and and hoses are not leaking. I hope that they are okay. I replaced them about 3 years ago.

I'll assess the back of the car later this week. I do know that I need a new rear windshield seal. While cleaning it from the inside, a slight push causes it to move. I probably could have easily pushed the whole thing out. I'm hoping that the rear brakes check out like the front. If so, I'll just need shoes and maybe rubber brake lines. The fuel pump is leaking fuel (read varnish is around the base). I could probably use a new carb. The dilemma I have is whether to use a set of weber 34 ict's that I have or just to replace the original carb. If I go with the duals, I'll have to buy single port manifolds, new linkage, two rebuild kits, and a header. CB performance has a new manifold, hex bar linkage and air cleaner set for around $150. Carb rebuilt kits are around $20-25 each, and a Mexican VW (4 into 1) header/muffler system is around $70. I haven't even priced jets for the carbs nor do I know what size jets are in them. I'll have to check them. This starts adding up quickly, so I'll probably opt for a new single carb. Again, I just want to get it running and stopping. Upgrades can wait.

Once I assess the rest of the car, I'll put together a list of items that I know I'll need.

67 Beetle (stripped)
67 Beetle
63 Beetle
Clyde

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I giggle ever time I read "assess."

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Jon
Site Admin

1969 Volkswagen Type 3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those people who typically stay at Ken and Inge's house, they will have some of Inge's family staying with them during Volkstock. If you plan to spend the night, there are still some sleeping options available, but you need to contact Ken to reserve your space. Smile

Yes, I'll be in the camper. Cool
69 Squareback
70 Fastback

63 Bug
buggybus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a new bus we can work on. The engine needs put in, rear breaks put on. Just little things to get it road ready.
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: No VACANCY!! - Sleeping Arrangements Reply with quote

Steve and Clyde will be shacking out in "THE SWAMP" and Joe (Augusta) will be upstairs. As Jon has stated, he and family have the DELUXE accomodations in the trailer beside the pool.

Inge's sister, brother-in-law and 2 nieces are visiting for a month and will be participating in this years event - YEAH!! They are in the other two rooms in the house. We do still have all of our PRIMITIVE sites available with electricity, no running water or sewer. Please feel free to camp on the proprerty and we should all start praying now for weather like we have had these past few evenings.

Ken Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Shows and Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: