1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Oil Cooler Seals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Oil Cooler Seals Reply with quote

Heading out to the garage for my weekly dose of humility and frustration, I realized that I hadn't posted to the "Tech Talk" section of the forum in a while. Not wanting said resource to die on the vine without my assinine questions (or child-like innocence, as I'd prefer), I paused long enough to boot up my laptop, which is only slightly newer than that mostly German hump in a dusty corner of my garage. Lest I am accused of getting paid, like Dickens, by the word (or, as may be said, by the comma), I'll cut to the chase:

I've peeled away the layers of the metal onion that is my 1200cc stock engine enough to access the leaky oil cooler. It's a stock, non-doghouse type cooler. Pulled the seals off, and compared them to the collection I've accumulated of locally- and internet-acquired contenders.

The black ones on the left are the "originals," with a close-up on the bottom. None of the replacements look like it -- maybe that's why the dot-com thing was leaking in the first place? I ruled out a bunch of others as too big, and all the ones here seem plausible.

The big red ones on the right seem like they would give the best seal, but I don't think the cooler would sit flush against the engine case with the fat ring around the middle. The 2nd and 3rd ones are almost identical, would probably allow a flush fit, but not sure about the quality of the seal.

Thought I'd get some input before I clean everything up, pick the wrong seals, put it all together, and end up with yet another oil-slinging mess. Opinions?

Thanks
Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the universal engine overhaul gasket set, there is a full selection of oil seals, covering everything from 1200-1600cc factory stock engines, 1961 through 1979. Yours is the 1200, which ironically is not in your pictures, but in the gasket set. The one you need is the same shape as the 2 middle ones in the pic above, only shorter.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Clyde -- pm on the way!

Bruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: