1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Type 3 Squareback questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petervalle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Type 3 Squareback questions Reply with quote

I joined today seeking some help with my Type 3 future project.
I am a member of GA dubs and I currently have a 1969 Bay in the works for an air suspension.
I am looking for information on what are the differences of Type 3 squarebacks from 66-71+? I am looking to purchase a project or a running squareback to use for daily driving. I do not know much about them, but I love the way they look.
I was told that PETE would be the guru in this subject. I want to learn a little more about this model before I go buying something that was put together with 10 different donor cars.
Thanks guys
Pedro
rustyfastback

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the guy you are looking for. I currently drive a '68 & '66 squareback daily. I also own about 20 or so type 3's some squarebacks, fastbacks, notchbacks, & type 34 ghias. If you are looking for a squareback, the body fenders, doors, floor pans are hard to find in good condition especially in the Southeast. The body panels are a little expensive when you can find them, so it is best to look for a car with the least amount of rust. I prefer the slanted front hood used on '69 & earlier models. All '66-'68 models are swing-axle trans except for '68 automatic. '69 & later models are independent suspension. '66-'67 models had factory dual carburetor engines(single port in '66 & dual port in '67). '68 & later USA models had fuel injection which works perfectly with all sensors working properly. If you want a '66-'67 model the ignition switch is expensive to replace. '70-'73 models have the bigger turn signals & flatter front hood. Squarebacks are very easy to lower as the lower front torsion arms have a splined torsion spring like the rear. Later models are usually cheaper in price. I used to buy every cheap early type 3 I could find, but I am out of storage space just ask Jon aka Hobug. If you want to check out some of my car just look on thesamba.com in the gallery under "rustyfastback". If you have any questions shoot me a PM. hope this helps.
Pete
petervalle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked You need to post your knowledge in Wikipedia. You answered all the questions I had and much more.
You have an impresive collection of type 3's.
Thanks
Thang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustyfastback wrote:
I am the guy you are looking for. I currently drive a '68 & '66 squareback daily. I also own about 20 or so type 3's some squarebacks, fastbacks, notchbacks, & type 34 ghias. If you are looking for a squareback, the body fenders, doors, floor pans are hard to find in good condition especially in the Southeast. The body panels are a little expensive when you can find them, so it is best to look for a car with the least amount of rust. I prefer the slanted front hood used on '69 & earlier models. All '66-'68 models are swing-axle trans except for '68 automatic. '69 & later models are independent suspension. '66-'67 models had factory dual carburetor engines(single port in '66 & dual port in '67). '68 & later USA models had fuel injection which works perfectly with all sensors working properly. If you want a '66-'67 model the ignition switch is expensive to replace. '70-'73 models have the bigger turn signals & flatter front hood. Squarebacks are very easy to lower as the lower front torsion arms have a splined torsion spring like the rear. Later models are usually cheaper in price. I used to buy every cheap early type 3 I could find, but I am out of storage space just ask Jon aka Hobug. If you want to check out some of my car just look on thesamba.com in the gallery under "rustyfastback". If you have any questions shoot me a PM. hope this helps.
Pete

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Showoff!! Laughing
'71 Super Beetle Convertible
'74 Thing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: