1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Spinal Stenosis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Spinal Stenosis Reply with quote

Aside from Jon, I don't know if anyone is aware of the neck and shoulder pain I've had for a few weeks now. Long story short I went to an Orthopedic surgeon last week who sent me for an MRI on my neck and shoulder. Today I found out I have Spinal Stenosis which is when space in your spine in your neck that your spinal cord goes through closes up and puts pressure on the spinal cord. The fix is surgery where they take a piece of bone from the hip and graphed it into the vertabrae to open it back up. The recovery time is about six months. Pretty major. My dad has the exact same thing and has had the exact same surgery. So I guess it's genetic. Thanks pop! I go for a second opinion next week but surgery is pretty much a sure thing. Needless to say I'm pretty freakin bummed. If you would all put me in your prayers I would be greatful.
massive 79 vert

1979 Volkswagen Super Beetle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake's dad went thru the same thing and you're right...it was not an easy battle Crying or Very sad

You'll be in our thoughts and prayers.
Mountain Power House

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that hurt him just as bad as his Heart did.. The night before he passed away thats the only thing he was complaining about..

I'd get a few opinions before surgery... They told my dad that 33% get better, 33% get worse and 33% stay the same... To me thats only a 1/3 chance that it'll be better... Your case might be different- I hope it is.

Back pain is horrible.. I screwed mine up in 2006 and it brought me to my knees for 3 months. I feel for ya man.
66 Bug -The Plague Returns!
73 VW Thing (Will I ever finish it?)
73 Superbeetle (Suby Power!)
76 Porsche 912E (X3!)
79 VW Iltis 4X4
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sucks is my og complaint was my shoulder. I have neck muscle pain all the time. But being a mechanic, I figured its just par for the corse. I had what I thought was a pulled muscle in my neck the weak leading up to it and last sat am I woke up with the worst shouldr pain I've had in my life. So bad I went to the er. Mon went to ortho surgeon who checked me out and said he thought it was my neck causing shoulder pain. Got mri and here we are. He said it could paralyze me if left untreated. My dad has spinal cord damage from leting it go to long. It scares the s..t out of me. I'm definately not digging surgery but I don't want to be permenently f'ed up either. Anyway thanks for the concern guys, it means alot!!
Clyde

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to hear it Shane. My family will be praying for you.

Clyde's Aircooled
(706) 206 6327
71_georgia_beetle

1974 Volkswagen Westfalia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke C2-C3, spinal shock, a year of recovery, learning how to walk and wipe your own ass again.................I have a great respect for the spine. Best of luck!
Call me if I need you!
scott

1968 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i feel for ya- my step dad has ankylosing spondylitis he has 1 vertebrae in his back that is not fused together-but he does get by -

get better and our prayers are with ya!!
serprice

1974 Volkswagen Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update. Saw a neuro surgeon. He thinks we should try phys. therapy. They have me doin these exercises to strengthen my neck muscles to relieve the discs and unpinch the nerve. Hey, I'm all for not having surgery! So far same old pain though Rolling Eyes But I'm still optomistic. Thank god for narcotic pain relievers or I would not be very productive Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: