1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Water cooled crowd still around???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rabidvr6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Water cooled crowd still around??? Reply with quote

Been out of the loop for a while, just wanted to know if anyone still meets up...???
VW Maverick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Sent you an IM.

Mav.
*92 Jetta GTX- Semi Flat Black - 2.0 ABA power plant. 5-speed conversion, Recaros, XM Satellite Radio, APEX suspension, BBS wheels, 3 VDOs in console, 220 KPH Euro cluster, TPMS, rear disc conversion w/A4 calipers, rear Neuspeed 4 point bar.
MK1_FTW

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there much of a watercooled division here?
shadetree

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MK1_FTW wrote:
is there much of a watercooled division here?

I was acquired by an 85 Westfalia in January '10. It has had a firm grip on me ever since. Just replaced entire cooling system, intake hoses & gaskets, new water pump, thermostat, belt, brakes front $ rear, fuel tank seal, all fuel lines, vacuum lines, next week I fill and bleed the system....there's more but I can't bear to look at it all. Like I said, a firm grip. If this post looks weird it's just that I'm not quite sure how to do this yet. thanks

66 21 window Deluxe Sunroof
74 westfalia
85 Vanagon Westfalia Bostig Zetec powered
VWBob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was acquired by an 85 Westfalia in January '10.[/quote]

I've had my '85 Westfalia about 11 years. It's been around the country a few times, but hasn't done much the last few years. Every once in awhile, I'll threaten to fix it up for family road trips, but I haven't gotten around to it. Let me know if you have any questions about yours.
shadetree

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Filling my 85 westy's cooling system Reply with quote

There's lots of confusing and conflicting info about this procedure; front raised, back raised, libby bong etc. After checking the torque on the water pump I'll be ready to follow "one" of the above procedures. Maybe I should dig out one of my old nike shirts and, "Just do it".

66 21 window Deluxe Sunroof
74 westfalia
85 Vanagon Westfalia Bostig Zetec powered
VWBob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: 85 Westy Cooling System Reply with quote

I've got the Bently manual around somewhere. You're welcome to borrow it. It's been awhile since I did it, but I remember raising the front of the van on ramps or jack stands so that the air would go to the radiator where it was supposed to vent out of a top valve. I remember being a little unsure and confused (my first water cooled vehicle). I wasn't even sure if I'd gotten air out of the system, but all has worked well the last ten years. Just be sure the coolant is phosphate free for aluminum engines. I think GM's Dex cool will do the trick, or the pink stuff from the VW dealer will work. Just don't use the green stuff. I recommend mixing it with distilled water instead of tap water to reduce deposits or anything that will react with the metal in the heads or engine. Cylinder head corrosion is the weak spot on the water cooled boxer engine.
VW Maverick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are still around. I wish I made it here more often.
Anyone can send me a PM anytime.

We keep in touch on VW Vortex.
We had a gathering today actually.

Here is the link:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4742496-GA-Athens-Chit-Chat-about-This-n-That

That starts Page 1 from January of this year.
We are on Page 19 now.

Here is the link directly to Page 19:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4742496-GA-Athens-Chit-Chat-about-This-n-That/page19

Anyway, IM or e-mail me anytime about anything H20 related.

Mav. Cool
*92 Jetta GTX- Semi Flat Black - 2.0 ABA power plant. 5-speed conversion, Recaros, XM Satellite Radio, APEX suspension, BBS wheels, 3 VDOs in console, 220 KPH Euro cluster, TPMS, rear disc conversion w/A4 calipers, rear Neuspeed 4 point bar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Water Cooled All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: