1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1 1
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1
FAQ :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register
Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in

Rust Conversion/Metal Treatment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Rust Conversion/Metal Treatment Reply with quote

Someday I hope to actually help by contributing answers to this forum, instead of all these goofy questions. Until then . . .

As an example, I wired-wheeled my rocker panels down the other day (I do know that they are actually part of the heater channels, and not rocker panels in the traditional sense -- like so many other VW things). They look so-so. Mostly solid and shiny, with a few very small pinholes. I have reason to believe they are otherwise in good condition in the places I can't see (I had the guy who pulled the body off prior to this have a look-see).

I'm thinking I'll use a combination of POR-15, with Restogrip to gap the small pinholes and keep moisture out. For now, at least. But my question concerns prep work.

In another post, TSP was recommended for cleaning/degreasing. I've now used some in other areas with good results. Plus, it's cheap.

But after cleaning, I'm left with the rockers shiny in some places, with a little surface rust in other places. Will phosphoric acid (or related products like ospho, naval jelly, Metal Ready, etc.) etch the smooth surfaces as well as convert the rust? I don't just want to cover the rust; but I also understand that POR-15 won't adhere to bare metal very well.

Has anyone had experience with Rust-o-Mort, or Master Series (two different functions, I know, but I'm curious)?

I'm suddenly wishing I'd paid more attention in Chemistry 101 . . .

Thanks!
Tanbug

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used two products, Kleen Strip had a rust converter that was a thick, white liquid that brushed on, turned black on rust that had been brushed or blasted and cleaned with wax & grease remover. Body work was then done....in 11 years it has not come back.
The other was Ospho. Areas treated the same way, cleaned, Ospho, then sprayed with epoxy primer.
Everyone has a different way of doing it.
Bruce Jacobs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. I'm going out today to pick up supplies. I've spent lots of time on The Samba and yeah, it looks like everybody does have their own way of doing things. But local advice is more helpful, in my opinion. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AthensVWClub.com Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: